Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

Slow Network Neighborhood

Just a quick question. I have 4 Windows 2000 pc's on a network. One Server and the rest are Pro. When I click on Network Neighborhood it freezes for a second before it will bring up the other computers. It does this on all the computers. I am using both NetBEUI and TCP/IP as the protocals. What causes it to take so long to bring the computers on the network up on my network screen?

-Dredd

I'd like an answer to this too, if there is one. I've chalked it up to 2K trying to make the connection secure as possible...

------------------

-brianZjones

Code:
============                   -------------------Home built:                    Also, just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA                   AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA T82C694X]                 Intel 486 CPU[onboard sound]                40 MB RAMPIII 500E [flip chip]          500 MB Conner HddPNY 128 MB PC100 RAM           3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDStealth III S540               3com Etherlink II3com Etherlink III             Adaptec AHA-1545 SCSIQuantum Fireball 10.3 GB       [to host some files on:]HP 20" Monitor                 1.3 GB internal SeagateWin2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   2x 2 GB external Seagate[format > clean install]       Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]                               pcAnywhere 9.2                               [so I can leave it in the closet]

The problem is NetBEUI. Remove this protocol and the hanging when opening Network Neighborhood (and when searching for PC's by name in case you haven't tried that) will go away.

By default, if you have NetBEUI installed your PC will try to use it first to search by name on a network without WINS. It's a good protocol for a small Workgroup without TCPIP, but that's about it.