Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Penfold

Networking Win2K with Win 98SE

I have at home two machines one that is dual boot Win2K Pro/Win98SE the other just runs Win 98SE.

When they both running Windows 98 everything Works fine so I know the NICs and cable fine.

When I running Win 2K on one and Win98SE on the other they dont see each other at all... I cant even ping them.

The dual boot Win2K Pro\Win98 machine uses a ISA Realtek 8019 NIC made by Genius.

The Win98 Machine uses an PCI Realtek 8029 NIC made by Genius.

And the machines are conected through a coax cable.

Both have the following installed:

Client For Microsoft Networking

TCP/IP

File and Printer Sharing

Can anybody help give me any tips the get the machines to talk to each other.

Many thanks

Peter R

Hi, I had some networking problems like this. They the following: -

1. Make sure they are both pointing to the same WORKGROUP.

2. Specfic an IP Address for each (First machine 192.168.0.1 - Second machine 192.168.0.2 etc).

3. Set up user / guest accounts on the win2k machine. Add themas local users.

4. Get updated drivers for your NIC cards for win2k / win98.

5. - Make sure there are no conflicts with the IRQ's on the network.

5. - E-mail me at rlculver@yifan.net or ICQ me - 68119581.

Hope this helps

Robert Culver

IT Student

Hope this helps

Why not just ru it on NetBuei if you not intending to run the second pc for internet ? Specify workgroup, install netbuei and reboot... !

------------------

Even though I had server up and running using only TCP/IP, when I clean installed pro, I could not see my network, until I installed NetBUI and IPX [both of which I think are useless, for my purposes]. Now, I can see everyone on my network. If only I could share files with them...

------------------

-brianZjones

Code:
============                   -------------------Home built:                    Also, just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA                   AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA T82C694X]                 Intel 486 CPU[onboard sound]                40 MB RAMPIII 500E [flip chip]          500 MB Conner HddPNY 128 MB PC100 RAM           3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDStealth III S540               3com Etherlink II3com Etherlink III             Adaptec AHA-1545 SCSIQuantum Fireball 10.3 GB       [to host some files on:]HP 20" Monitor                 1.3 GB internal SeagateWin2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   2x 2 GB external Seagate[format > clean install]       Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]                               pcAnywhere 9.2                               [so I can leave it in the closet]