Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slippy

Computer description in Windows 2000

The IS department at my school requires us to have are name listed in the computer description on the network if we share files in network neighborhood. Setting this in windows 98 or NT is no problem, but i, nor anyone in the IS department can figure out where to set it in 2000. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Jeeze, some IS departments are really 'brilliant' huh? Goto your desktop. Right-click on the My Computer icon. Right-click on Properties. Right-click on Network Identification. Do what you want there. There's several other ways of doing it also. Have fun screaming at your IS people, I would. wink

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

I tried that already, it does not work.

Fortunatly, i found the answer for myself in, of all places, the microsoft website. (amazing huh?)

If anyone's curious, to do it, you go into the computer managment mmc snap-in or whatever, right-click on computer(local) and go to properties. Enter the name and reboot.

guess i should have checked there before asking, but i never thought in a million years that i could find anything useful on that site. Thanks for your help anyway though.

Strange that it would work for me, but not for you. In fact, I just tested it and it worked perfectly.

However, I'm running as Administrator, in a Workgroup and not a Domain. That may be the difference.

Anyway, GREAT that you found an answer to your problem. Now you can really lord it over your IS department! wink