Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gramaglia

Using a non Windows 2000 DNS

Hi all, there is something I don't understand, and it's how Windows 2000 want to use the DNS. In my workplace there is a central DNS, on a UNIX server, capable of dynamic updates (and we've enabled them).

So, when we've installed Active Directory, we chose not to install the DNS server on the DC because the DNS administrator doesn't want windows 2000 to rummage in the list and modify all that it wants.

Sometimes he claims he wants to update some records called _tcp, _ldap, and so on...

We gave the Win2k DC permisions to do so, but there's another record that he wants to update, the record relative to his domain (zone).

So what I'm asking is: is it safe to let him do so? I mean, what does he modify in that record and when?

In particular, do you have an answer to these questions?

- He modifies the GUID and everything related to the machine only

- He modifies everything about his domain (and so, whenever a machine is added or put out of the domain, he modifies the record)

- If someone decides to change the IP of the DC, those changes are obviously reflected on the record; if I don't want the IP number to be modified, is there a way to make the DNS cheat the DC, so that the IP number remains unchanged?

I know, these are particularly difficult questions, but I'm trying ...I simply have no clue from Microsoft, every document about the DNS presumes you've installed the DNS from Win2k....And before you tell me so, I simply am not allowed to do so!

Ok, I'll wait..... wink