Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farphle

SWBell DSL (not PPPoE) and Win2K

Would anyone happen to know why SWBell told me that in order to qualify for the "Customer Self Install" for DSL I had to be running Win98? I asked and they said it was a driver issue. What drivers? Are they expecting me to install some POS software on my stable system? To the best of my knowledge, all I need is the ethernet modem, my router (for the network), and my NIC. Am I missing something?

I want to know if I can get rid of this bulls**t Win98 partition or not.

Why? Because in my experience most of the DSL installation people at SWBell don't know what they're talking about. Heck, they told me that using my HPNA (phoneline) network to share my DSL connection is possible but "we've never heard of anyone doing it successfully." Obviously they've never spent even 5 minutes browsing the message boards at DSLReports.com.

Assuming you are not getting a regular PPP (i.e. not PPPoE) connection, then you're right; all you need is the modem, the router, and the NIC. My installation predated the self-installation, and they had a technician come by and install a POTS splitter, so I don't know if you need this done to avoid PPPoE.

My guess is that either (a) SWBell doesn't know the proper TCP/IP configuration procedure for Win2K (they don't have it listed on their web site, just 9x and NT 4) or (B) the NIC they give you doesn't have Win2K drivers.

First of all, when they give you your NIC, throw it away; it's a piece of garbage. Use your own. That fixes the second problem.

Second, tell them you're willing to figure out the TCP/IP settings yourself. If they won't budge, then boot to Win98, set it up their way, make sure it works, and then reboot to Win2K and set it up there. I can assure that it does work, because I am using a Win2K machine as my router for my own SWBell DSL connection.

It's because SWBell dosen't support Win2k (this they've told me). Every time I call them for anything they tell me that to support me I'll have to install Win98 and take Internet Connection Sharing off of my PC. They're a bunch of fools and don't listen to them. Just tell them you have Win98 and whack that POS from your drive. The parts will show up in the mail and you can do the rest.....

Thanks guys! I already have my own NIC installed and my LAN is up and running with 2 other Win98 boxes. Just waiting for the *correct* modem. They sent me a USB modem, I called and refused it, they are sending me the ethernet modem I originally requested. Now all I need is the router and I'm set.

I will have a static IP from a different ISP (I would never use SBIS) so I don't think that PPPoE will be an issue.