Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ilkevinli

Cant connect to laptop. Help

I have a Wireless network running. Here is the setup:

Desktop= Windows 2000

Laptop = Window ME

Both the Laptop and the Desktop can see each other. The desktop can access the Laptops shared folders but when I try and access the Desktops shared folders from the Laptop I get this message "\\Desktop is not accessible. No permission to access resourse."

I have the shared folder set to Full access and Permission to Everyone.

Im new to Windows 2000 and I think there is some setting Im missing. Can anyone help. Thank you !!

Hi

Right-click on Network Places, choose properties, right-click your connection choose properties and make sure that the binding for File & Printer Sharing is set to active.

// Toby

Yes it is. Ok here is an update. I got to this point. When I double click on the shared folder of the desktop from the Laptop I get this message:

Enter Network Password

You must supply a password to make this connection

Resource: \\DESKTOP\MY DOCUMENTS

and then there is a place for me to type a password. The only thing is I didnt set a password. When I set up the folder to make it shared, there wasn't even an option to make it password protected. Any suggestions ? Thanx for your help.

[This message has been edited by ilkevinli (edited 23 July 2000).]

Ok, there's two way's for you to fix this:

1. Enable the Guest account on Win2k

2. Make an account on Win2k that has the same username+password as the person using WinME has on that computer..

// Toby

Thanx Toby for your help.

Can you go into a littile more detail on how I do both of those suggestions. Im new to Windows 2000. This is my 2nd day using it.

Also there isnt any passwords on the Windows ME machine.

Ok, for solution nr1:

From Control Panel enter Users and Passwords, Advanced, Advanced, Users folder, Double-click Guest, Uncheck Account is disabled. (This is not recommended in a corporate envirement, but for homenetworking it's ok.)

nr2:

At the same place where you could enable the guest account, create a new user. This user should have the same username/password as the user on WinME (This for not having to enter a password each time he/she wants to access your shares). You don't have a password created for your "default user" on the WinMe computer(blank) otherwise you should have to enter username+password to log in when booting WinME, so just create the user in Win2k (If you're not sure about the username, its the username from the installation of WinME. You can check startmenu Log off XXXX, XXXX is the usernamne) with a blank password and you should be set..

Good luck.

// Toby