Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vechlor

Can get NIC card to work in Win2K (NetGear FA310TX) - HELP!

I bought a new NetGear 10/100 FA310TX PCI NIC card, and now it won't work in Windows 2000??? When I plugged the card in for the first time, windows found it and installed the drivers, but I can't seem to find anyone over the workgroup no matter what I do.

I tried adding NETBIOS and assigned an IP address, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. Plus, if I go to properties, I see a tab called Advance with a lot of weird options like: burst rate. Anyway, the card installs and the hardware part seems to work, but not the software side, maybe wrong or just bad drivers?

I also went to NetGear's website and emailed them three times with the same answer telling me to download this program that "updates" my LAN card, but the description reads only for use with win9x or NT4.0. I looked for drivers, but all I found was a message telling me to use the ones from the Windows 2000 CD. Hummm... This is getting me nowhere!!!

Can someone please help me with this problem I'm having with my LAN card. THANKS A BUNCH!

I have that card running my internet connection now, for 6 months. No probs standard drivers

No worries man. This card has out of the box driver support, and is one of the most widely used cards. The drivers are fine. Concentrate on your connection setup, cables, hub, etc. The problem is NOT with your drivers.

You have stated in your post that you aren't able to contact anyone in your workgroup. What about connectivity at all? Have you checked to make sure that the link light on the back (green solid) is on to show a connection?

How do you have this set up? Are you hooked into a hub? Another computer? Are you using a crossover cable? Should you be? Don't mess with the setting on the advanced tab unless you want to screw something up. If you are comfortable changing those, go ahead, but be prepared to have some crazy things happen. The default setup is fine for the average user/gamer.

Have you even checked to see if your IP is valid? Are you using ICS? Are you using DHCP? Are you assigning your IP's?

More info = more help.

I found out the problem why my NetGear 10/100 didn’t work. For some reason, my 10BaseT/2 PCI works in the 5th PCI slot on my Abit BP6 motherboard, but when I plug in the NetGear card in the same slot, nothing seems to work once I’m in W2K even after the drivers are installed. So I decided to change PCI slots and now it works on 10 and 100BaseT HUBs.

95% of motherboards don't busmaster their last PCI slot. This is the case also with the Abit BP6 Dual Celeron motherboard. You were trying to run a 10/100 card that requires busmastering on a PCI slot that wasn't busmastered. That's all.