Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HolyBob

To Windows 2K or not to Windows 2K.........

We're building a new server at work for Lotus Notes and the Notes 'Administrator' has requested Win2K installation rather than NT4 SP6a (which the rest of our servers run).

I keep hearing stories about security bugs in Win2K but I could do with some kind of list that I can throw at him to prove my point that now isn't the time to 'up'grade.

Does a list like this exist anywhere? In fact, does everyone agree with me that it IS a bad idea going to Win2K?

Cheers,

Bob

I can't help with the security hole list, but I can help with other things.

We have got 2 servers that run Windows 2000 Server. One is our Backup server (Legato Networker), and the other will be a replacement Internet Map Server (running Geographic mapping software).

The key things to arrange are that all of the hardware and software installed into the machine is Windows 2000 compliant.

We had a minor problem in that one of servers ran Netware 5.11 for a while (as a test - we are mostly a Novell site). In order to get Windows 2000 Server installed, we had to change the Adapatec RAID controller for a Mylex one, as the Adaptec card wasn't suitable for running under Windows 2000.

Providing you have these basis covered, you should be fine.

The other thing to mention (but not until the servers have arrived), is that you need lots of expensive Windows 2000 training, as your NT 4 experience won't really help (you can exagerate this point a bit to ensure you get the training!!).