Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oshie

Getting Win95/98 to speak to Win2000

I'm sorry if someone else has posted a question like this.

I have Win 2000 Pro on my machine, and when I go to LAN matches at my friend's place, the people with Win 95/98 either get prompted for a password when they look at my computer under Network Neighborhood or get told that it is an invalid network resource.

I log into my computer as Administrator, I am only using TCP/IP as my network protocol (no others are installed) with a IP address assigned and under the directories I have shared everyone has access.

What am I doing wrong? How can I set it up so everyone can view my computer without having to put a password in or getting prompted by a user name and password box?

Quick and easy way is to set up an account for their computer. You can do this in the "Users and Passwords" area in your Control Panel.

Just set it up with their account's name and password, and it should work.

I did this at college, and was able to connect to my W2k machine with 98, NT4, and 95.

But guest presents a security hole. A special account for the WIn98 would be the best.

Yeah, that would be outright scandalous if someone hacked his computer and changed his scores. SH*£ man that would be downright nasty. Imagine what would happen to him if they edited his quake3 config file, un-inverted his mouse and made him a woman...

Doesn't bear thinking about does it?