Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

Network Cable Unplugged

I have a Phoneline network setup in my house to share my cable modem. But everytime my wife turns off her computer there is no link for the phone line adapter. I then get the message in my taskbar, "Network Cable Unplugged" and the computer with the red X in it.

I don't mind the icon, but how do I get rid of the pop-up message. Gets kinda annoying.

TIA,

Keith

If you are trying to share the internet connection, you might be better off using an independant network hub(independant from the computer). I set our connection at home up like this, and I never got the network cable unplugged icon again(unless it was unplugged :P).

You can get a good hub for about 40 dollars at Staples.

Yea, I know. The wife really didn't want CAT 5 cable running all around the house. The Diamond Homefree works really well, just wish I could get rid of the icon when her computer is off.

If it says network cable unplugged and your sure it is you probobly are trying to use a straight through cable to connect two pc's together. straight through cable is used to connect pc to hub. Crossover cable is used to connect pc to pc. sometimes they look the same but they are different. Another way to check this is to look at your nic cards. If the nics between your two comps do not have any status lights then this is defenitely your problem. Good luck.

They way Homefree works is this. The Homefree card will only display a link light when it finds another Homefree card on the network.

So, when my wifes computer is turned off, my Homefree card doesn't find any other Homefree cards on the network and turns off the link light.

Which in turn, Windows 2000, thinks the network cable is unplugged, because there is no link light.

then why cant you leave her PC running 24/7?? Im very biased against DMM/S3 products because the jerks screwed me out of $150 bucks when my diamond rio broke twice, they wont even give me my money back for their crappy product.

Why dont you just install ethernet jacks in your house and run the cable through the attic, its a little bit of work but if you plan on keeping the house its a good deal plus with broadband and multiple home PCs starting to grow more popular it might actually increase the value of the home.

Her computer is a laptop. Other than that the Phoneline network works great. I know that running a hub and cat5 would be quicker, but I really don't feel like running wire through the house.

a crossover cable is alpha on one end and bravo on the other

alpha= GS, G, OS, B, BS, O, BrS, Br

bravo= OS, O, GS, B, BS, G, BrS, Br

the only thing that is different on the terminated ends are the transmits and recieves.