Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk

Is it possible to install Win2k OS via Network ?

I need an extra computer in my home. I want it to be fast but financial arguments restrict me some what. I’m thinking of in favour of faster cpu, more ram, better graphics, a good monitor and a network card not to install a floppy, large harddisk or cdrom.

If that should work I will have to install the operating system via the network – and my question is if that is possible? The harddisk on the new computer will properly not even be formatted.

SK

You can do it, but you will a couple fo things first.

The first is that the network card must support PXE. The latest 3Com 10/100 cards do, but double check if you're going for a different brand.

Second, you must have a Windows 2000 Server that is acting as DNS server, and has a copy of the Windows 2000 Pro software stored on it ready to roll out to new machines.

You then create a boot disk on the server, and after that it's pretty automatic.

If I were you though, I'd spring for a CD-ROM drive, as they aren't that expensive, and it will save you a lot of grief. You may also find problems when it comes to running some applications, or applying patches.

For instance, Office 2000 requires the CD-ROM to be present when you install the SR-1 patch. This will be impossible on your new PC, so you won't be able to patch it.