Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DiademZ

Win2k Server refuses to boot!

Hello all,

I've just successfully installed Win2k Server on this PC :

- Celeron300 w/ABIT BX6 (revision 1, QS bios)

- 128MB RAM

- Creative RivaTNT1 graphics card w/5.14 Detonator drivers

- 3com 905x network card

AD/DHCP/DNS have all been configured via the wizard. Right now, there are no PCs connected to this server.

I had just finished installing all the security patches, created a new user with admin privileges and rebooted. Upon rebooting, the system would hang at "Preparing network connections", and I don't see the login prompt.

Rebooting in Safe Mode, I see the login prompt, but after typing in my userid/password and pressing Enter the system hangs there.

THen I reboot in Safe Mode again, this time choosing the "Active Directory" option, and before the login prompt again, I see this message (it goes something like this) :

"Windows 2000 has to be shut down because LSASS.EXE has generated error

-1066598274"

Then it countdowns from 60s and reboots the PC. I've tried searching for this error in these forums but to no avail. It was working very nicely before all these happened.

Any insight into this matter is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Is your PC networked? If it is, did u set it as a PDC or a BDC? What's the deal with the DHCP: are u a DHCP server, or u are using one to get your IP? Details, details...

Here's a wacky idea. Try taking the NIC out of it. I had a NIC going nuts on me before and Win2K locked at the same point. I took the NIC out and it let me in (with a ton of errors about services not working tho). I uninstalled the NIC and shutdown. After putting in a new one, I installed it and all was well.

------------------

Regards,

clutch