Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GHz

Sharing Over Internet

You guys are probably going to think I'm crazy trying to do this, but oh well...

I need to share a folder across the internet using a Win2k Pro box. The folder contains some data files that need read/write access. Obviously I want to do this as securely as possible, as I don't want some malicious user hacking me. Any ideas on how to do this? I tried installing IIS and using Internet Sharing, but it lets any user in. Besides, I don't like the complexity of IIS :P

------------------

GHz

The way you have it set up with IIS should be ok It is just the permissions that have not been set correctly.

IIS is used as a web server and should be fine for the job, Can you share the folder as an FTP site and allow access via iis that way.

Well, I guess I could do that... but reading thru the M$ documentation seems futile to me. I don't know how to setup IIS! Are there any sites around for dummies like me, that explain how this is done? I appreciate the help ;]

------------------

GHz

First of all, you need TCP/IP obviously if u want to communicate with the "outside". You want to share over the Internet? I suggest you get a little FTP server program, like G6 or something, you can set all the restrictions you want from there. And it takes less space and hassle than IIS. W2K seems to have a lot of security options disabled by default (like NT), so a sysadmin must manually enable them (in UNIX/Linux is the other way around, they're all enabled by default, one has to create permissions). If you want to share over a LAN, then it's easier...just create user names that match the logged user name in the client PC and set the user rights and directory rights afterwards. But remember, once you have File/Print Services installed, you opened a gateway for possible hackers. You might want to get a firewall to backup your existing security settings (if u use IP filtering) - if u're REALLY paranoid. But what the heck, only the paranoid survive wink