Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marine

Win2K won't run my 3Com 3C905C

After reading several times here and elsewhere, I bought the 3C905C and cannot get it to run in clean Win2K install. Have downloaded the 5.2 drives, and renamed the 2K .inf files, but no joy. Won't run on native drivers and won't accept the 3Com drivers. Any suggestions?

------------------

Semper fi!

dkiffer@bigfoot.com

Hmmm...that's interesting. All of the 3c905c that i use at work work fine under win2k. Win2k installs the 3com pci bustmaster drivers blah blah blah for this card, and it works fine.

There are two things i can think of. First, make sure that the card is in PCI slot 1, because it uses bustmastering. If that doesn't work, then you may have remnants of old network card drivers that are conflicting. Go into safe mode, uninstall the card, remove it from your motherboard, then boot up into normal mode and let win2k install its drivers. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by HarU:

There are two things i can think of. First, make sure that the card is in PCI slot 1, because it uses bustmastering.

Isn't all PCI slots busmastering enabled?

Yes marksman, they are. But if you have a card that uses bustmastering (most don't) then it has to master the buses. Since the bus starts at PCI slot 1, that is where it needs to be. If there is another card in that slot, then obviously it is doing the mastering. If that is the case, then the network card wont work.

I know from experience, so don't come in here and try to start sh*t and cause problems. I am actually trying to help this guy, not start flames.

Quote:
Originally posted by HarU:

I know from experience, so don't come in here and try to start sh*t and cause problems. I am actually trying to help this guy, not start flames.

Jesus sorry. I guess I hit a nerve.

Sorry Marksman, i thought you were trying to be one of those smart ass guys that tries to complicate things. I took your question the wrong way. Im sorry. smile

Move the NCI to another PCI slot. If you do not need to use the parall port turn them off this will free up IRQ's this will fix your problem.