Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AUSTIN316

Networking a Win2k and W98SE computer

I noticed that when i networked my windows 2000 and windows 98 machine that if i didn't login under the same name on both that it wouldn't let me access the shared folders across the network. Is this how it should be ? If i clicked on the shared folder it would ask me to put a pw in but i never setup a pw. Then as soon as i logged in on both machines with the same user name and clicked on the shares it worked fine and didn't ask me for a pw.

yep that is the way it should be, if you want to continue to use the original username from win98 just make a user on the win2000 machine same name as 98 machine with appropriate access rights to the shares

hope that helps

You can also enable the Guest account, but if the Win2k machine is directly attached to the Internet you should take additional precautions. Unbind NetBIOS and Microsoft File & Print Sharing from the adapter connected to the Internet.

It is safest NOT to enable the guest account and to just add the user that will be accessing the shared folders. Then grant rights to that user in the share itself. This is more involved than the simplistic sharing in Windows 9x, but NT/2000 have real security to give you some protection.

there are 2 ways to share folders..either on a sharebasis (where you give the share itself a pw) or userbasis (where u give users permission on the share) so another wya to do it is to share with a pw..ie not on a userbasis

you can do password-based sharing in win2k? please do tell... it looks completely user-based to me.

I know you could enable the guest account and use that password, but what if, say, I want to have one password on one share and a different password on another?

yea i think so (cant try it here @ work tho so im going out on a limb here :=) what i think it takes is simply having windows file and print sharing installed..(but like i said im going out on a limb here :=)

ill try it @ home tonight and tell ya how it went

This is to the guy who suggested you delete that Registry Key.

(And to anyone else who's interested.)

I've been wrestling with this 98/2kPro issue on and on for months.

Although the Registry Key suggestion might be the ticket; if you search enough of these blogs and the half baked suggestions you find here, you need to put a little more info to convince us you know what you're talking about.

Supposedly there's a deeper solution to this which explains why one 2k machine might show up fine, where another one will give you trubb accessing twixt a 98 machine.

It involves user accounts or passwords and old user account leaving stuff behind on the Win2k machine, which requires that you go into that machine and run some poorly documented diagnostics thing on the 2k machine to clear out that old info so you can create the same username again. Otherwise you will find the machine won't accept that new name. And as far as I know so far there is no easy way to find out what the heck username is causing the problem.

I also cannot find out if that reset utility -- Netdom.exe -- a DOS based thing -- will or won't reset the whole damned machine.

I have not deleted the registry key mentioned above without knowing who the hell is suggesting that. A lot of knuckelhead wannabe IT gurus on these blogs will only make matters worse for you. So be careful and make sure they can type more than a sentence or ask a few dumb questions.

Just kinda funny none of these dufusses mentioned a thing about this reset business.

Take care. No. I mean really. Be cautious.

Deleting a registry entry could be fatal for all this dude could take the time to expand upon (tell us more).