Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GHz

Telnet Server Administration?

Hi! I'm a new user to this board, and I figured *someone* here may be able to answer my newbie question. Here goes:

I want to enable remote server administration via the Telnet Server, but I have no idea how! Can someone help?

The purpose of this is to allow a select group of people to admin a gaming server of mine (quake2). Sometimes it crashes, and the application needs to be restarted. I'd also like them to be able to upload game updates and install/run them remotely.

I don't know if the Telnet Server is the best/easiest way to go, but I figured it wouldn't be that difficult ;p

Thanks in advance for any replies ;]

------------------

GHz

The Telnet server can be started from the control Panel "Administrative Tools" applet. Navigate the command line options to set the options you need. Remember to stop and restart the service after any changes. Be VERY carful what priveleges you give your remote administrators. If they have administrative priveleges, Telnet puts them right at the C:\ prompt. Someone who doesn't know what he is doing can do a lot of damage here.

If your remote administrators are not familiar with the W2k or NT command line, better not use telnet. It only gives you Command line access to the server. (You should know these people VERY well before you give them any access; beyond that of a regular user; to your server.

Better to use Laplink or PC any-where (With very strong security, which can be configured in these 2 applications) This gives you access to the GUI just as if you were sitting in front of the server itself. Make sure you make user accounts with the appropriate permissions...yada yada (standard NT stuff)

Luck!

------------------

MjolnirGS@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by mjolnirGS (edited 14 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mjolnirGS (edited 14 May 2000).]

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific with my question. I know how to start the service, but I don't know how to configure it (adding users, permissions, etc.). I only want them to have enough access to admin the q2 server, and that's it. Can this be done with the Telnet Server, or should I use another application? Thanks.

------------------

GHz

I haven't been using the telnet server very much, but it seems like you need to use regular W2K user accounts, (Computer Management, Local Users)From what I've seen, It doesn't use accounts of it's own. The only options for configuring it are under menu option 3 in the Admin Utility. I was able to log on with my W2K user account only after I set the NTLM setting to zero. (option3 then option7)

I am using W2K Pro, and I don't know if the Server versions of Telnet Server are different.

Still, I don't think that using Telnet is a good idea. While you can do everything from the command prompt that you can with a mouse, You have to know a lot of commands. Also, I dont like giving that kind of access to the server. As I said Telnet puts users right at the C:\ prompt, If they have the right permissions, they can open your Winnt directory, get the file that holds all of your passwords, copy it, then run a password cracker on it at their leisure. Scary.

Like I said Earlier, Use something else, like PC Anywhere or laplink. You can set up nice safe user accounts, restrict access to the important stuff (your Boot and System partitions) and even allow acces only from specific IP addresses. Much safer in my opinion.

That's about all the help I can give, If anyone knows more about Telnet Server, I'd like to hear from you too.

Thanks, and Luck!

------------------

MjolnirGS@hotmail.com