Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

Win2k, Win98, Linux, and .... a Mac

Hello all,

I have a small lan with 2 Win2k Pro machines, 3 Win98 machines (2 are laptops) and I just added a Linux box (just learning Linux, so I haven't gotten the NIC to work yet) and I have an iMac I would like to connect to the network. Now, I can connect the iMac using a dumb program called Dave, but Macs only allow for one TCP/IP connection, so it's a pain to switch whenever I have to connect to the net using the Mac's modem. I'm taking too long -- sorry; I need to know if there is a way through Windows to connect the Mac. I'm much more familiar with windows than with Macs.

As I understand it, I can do what I want using the Linux box, but like I said, i am only just learning Linux - so I'm hoping for a solution through the OS I already know.

thanks everyone.

Best,

J.E.

Install the Appletalk protocol onto your two Win2k boxes and they will see the mac. Having not used it very much I can't tell you any further tweaks.

------------------

The information contained in this post has no nutritional value. I remove myself from all responsibility of the consequences should you print this post and consume it without taking the proper precautions.

Warning: This text best viewed with surround sound.

Sure, get a modem sharing program for one of the win2k boxes, set it up and then use the win2k box to dial out to the net and you will be able to share the conn. with all the machines including the linux and mac.

some good progs include.

winroute

sygate

not sure of the web add. but a simple search will get you that.

any more questions or problems let me know.