Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eric

ADSL - Win2K setup problems

It seems as though Frogmaster had a problem similar to mine.

I also have just subscribed to ADSL service with my local telco (Ameritech). The connection works great in Win98 after a very quick and simple set-up (just create a new connection after installing VPN service).

My problem is that I am unable to get it working under W2K. I must have tried all possible configurations but I cannot connect to my ISP.

Has anybody already set up an ADSL connection in W2K?

Here are a few details:

- modem : Alcatel 1000 HighSpeed modem

- modem IP address : 10.0.0.138 (default)

- my ADSL login looks like : yyy@xxx.zzz

- my user name looks like : yyy

- isp server name looks like xxx.zzz

- my password looks like : abcdefgh

- Nic card is ATMF 25M CARD

- isp service type is VPN PPT

- nic card seems to see the modem attached to it (connection icon in the taskbar)

Alcatel's doc is great for Win9x and NT but is no help for W2K.

My local network is setup up correctly, as I can share files and printing between pc's, however I have had zero luck in configuring the modem side of the connection. Did you require some special software, i.e., PPPoE, to setup the dialer to dial correctly? Can you send me a note or post back as to what you specifically did to resolve?

Please let me know.

eric

If your ISP uses PPTP and VPN, then your config should be the same than mine.

- First, you have to configure your local area connection with the fixed IP address and subnet mask provided by your ISP.

For example 20.0.0.10 and 255.0.0.0

- Second, you must create a new connection.

Choose VPN,

Enter the default IP address of the modem, 10.0.0.138 in my case,

Enter your DSL user name in the form xxx@yyyy.zzz,

Enter your password,

Give a name to this connection,

Should be done.

- Third, right-click on the newly created icon to finalise configuration (security, encryption or not, etc),

When done double-click the icon to connect to your ISP (may take 10 seconds or so).

When connected, launch IE.

You're done.

Hope this helps :))

I believe that one difference is that I don't have a static ip. It appears as though my ip addresses are assigned dynamically. Ameritech has not assigned a specific ip for me. Any thoughts??

Should be no prob here.

Just assign a fixed IP address within the private range (ex. 10.0.0.10, subnet mask 255.0.0.0)to the TCPIP config of your local area network connection.

This seems to be a restriction of PPTP/VPN as some ISPs do not want you to share the Internet connection (it is possible to bypass this restriction thu by using a router/firewall or another PC which will do the DHCP on your lan's side while showing a unique address to your ISP).

Then you config the new connection to your ISP choosing address assigned by remote host, remote default gateway, etc. so that your ISP will do the DHCP and assign a new address for every session.

smile

Hi Frogmaster,

Still no luck... Did you have to enter your dialing sequence anywhere in particular? I have a ATM dialing sequence that is something like ENI40000... On my Win98 machine this access code was entered into the telephone number area where you would dial a typical analog phone line. It does not appear as that I have configured this sequence anywhere in my configuration and it appears to be need. Another difference between our setups is that Ameritech uses an ATM card - ATMF25 that is diffent that 10BaseT. The drivers and VPN setup that is being added by Win2K automatically is sort of different. Thoughts?