Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mote

Win2k/98se sharing _was_ working....

Well I had sharing working partially (not completely) but now it doesn't work at all frown

Computer #1 runs Win2k with a standard nic which came with NT50 drivers.

Computer #2 runs Win98se with the same brand nic and proper win98 drivers.

The computers can ping each other

Comp1 can share its internet dialup with Comp2 without any problems

Comp1 can host a lan game of UT and Comp2 can connect and play (likewise for comp2)

Comp1 and Comp2 are in the same workgroup "workgroup"

Problem #1: when I try to browse the workgroup with Comp1 I get the following error: "Workgroup is not accessable. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." Well dammit. I don't recall changing any settings at all. How can I make the workgroup accessible?

Problem #2: before problem #1 Comp1 was able to browse Comp2 and see all the shared drives and folders but Comp2 could not see Comp1 in the workgroup. Comp2 can see itself in the workgroup. Comp1 cannot see itself in the workgroup. Any ideas?

Please accept my apologies if this has been answered before, however I have taken the time to search all the msg boards here for "share", "sharing", and "network" without any luck. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Mote

Hmmm, some more info:

Both nics have been tested at all speeds and are currently both set to 10mbps full duplex. Neither nic is set to "Auto Negotiate" since I understand this can cause problems.

I have been able to rectify problem #1. For some unknown (ie: stupid) reason I had disabled the Lan Connection. Well, thats what I get for trying to set up this Peer to Peer Lan at 5am without any sleep smile

Perhaps its important to know that I am using a Cross-over cat5 instead of regular cat5 and a hub.

I have created a login on the win2k system that matches the login on the win98se system.

New Problem smile Both Comp1 and Comp2 show up in the workgroup in Comp1's Network Neighbourhood. However it still won't let me browse Comp2 with Comp1 :\ The error is: "\\Comp2 is not accessible. The account is not authorized to login from this station."

So I now am seeking insight into problem 2 and 3, if anyone can offer their expert opinions?

Thanks!

Mote

That's right!

Enable the guestaccount.

Rightclick on my computer and then click Manage/Local Users/Users

Enable Guestaccoount.

------------------

/>jWe<