Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
A-guy

quake3 lan/tcp-ip question

Ok heres my situation. I have 2 computers networked with a crossover cable and sygate for internet sharing. I was wondering if it were possible to run a dedicated quake3 server from the client machine and have other people access it so I can play on it too. If this is possible what ip # do I use or how do I set it up? I know how to do it from my main box but How would it work with the client? Maybe sygate can route it or something?

Essentially the computer running SYSGATE is a firewall, meaning that the other computer isn't actually connected to the internet (it can send information out, but can't receive. If you were running a linux server you could use port routing to accomplish this. I'm not framiliar with Sysgate, but my experience with other 32bit proxy/gateway programs shows that this isn't possible. My solution to this problem was to buy a hub, plug my cablemodem into the hub aswell as my two computers, and give them each their own internet IP address. This way they both had real direct connections... no need for sysgate. This isn't possible if you have a dialup connection

Thx for the info. I was just hoping I wouldnt have to rip my box open and switch nics and setup the other box as the server and install software ect..ect. Oh well Ill do it tommorow ( yawn ).

Woohoo! Winroute 4.1 does portmapping. I actually set it up and its working just like sygate and I have my quake3 port mapped to the other box. Pat the newbie on the back.