Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
michaeljbrooks

Mozilla 0.8

I have recently been playing with Mozilla, the open-source browser effort.

I tried Netscape 6.0 and 6.01 which are based on an earlier version of Mozilla, 0.6, but was unhappy with some deficiencies and stability problems.

The latest Mozilla, 0.8, naturally is like Netscape 0.6 and has some stability problems but seems a little more functional than Netscape 6.0x on a few Web pages.

Apparently Mozilla 1.0 is supposed to be the first 'production' release and will be released later this year.

http://www.mozilla.org

I've been using Mozilla since the early teen-milestones and it's getting better all the time.

Is it the IE killer ? Not really, but it's my favourite browser on my Linux Laptop and shares the duty with IE on my PC.

Don't try the Netscape 6.x, based on the older Mozilla 0.6 so it's older/slower and they added their AOHell crap ... 'nuff said, I'm posting this from Mozilla 0.8 wink

I think that supplementing Internet Explorer under Windows is how I would describe my usage of Mozilla 0.8 also.

Mozilla 0.8 is not stable enough for all-around use yet (especially PSM), but it seems to be a little better than Netscape 6.0x as I mentioned earlier.

Because up[censored] Internet Explorer seems to be in my experience the only way to hose up Windows 2000 bad enough to have to re-install Windows 2000, I try to just use another browser when Internet Explorer does not do what I want.

remember 98Lite? do you know if they have a version for Win2k? i'd like to put win2k on a 525mb hard drive for the hell of it but it takes up too much space.

I am using Mozilla (Bezilla) in BeoS and its

a little instable by now.

Hope it gets better, cos is FREE!

------------------

Asus CUSL2 Mobo 1003, PIII 800EB, Elsa Geforce 2 Mx, 32MB, SB LIVE! VALUE, 256Mb PC133 CAS3, Quantum Fireball lct20 20,IntelPro/100+,Asus 8xDVD-ROM, HP CD-WRITER+ 9300

BeOS5 Pro

Win2k Pro sp#1 DX8

Whistler 2296

There is no question that Mozilla 0.8 is still somewhat unstable, which is why I only use it as a supplement to Internet Explorer 5.x at this time.

Even the developers of Mozilla say that Mozilla 1.0 will be the first stable 'production' release.

I encourage users of Mozilla who have a high-speed Internet connection to download the larger 'talkback' version of Mozilla that automatically sends feedback on errors to Mozilla.org when Mozilla abends.

Nah, there's still no Win2000lite. Check out the website at www.98lite.net . There's a news page, and there's also a discussions section. There's info in both. 98lite's da bomb for Win98, too bad there's no 2000lite yet.

I downloaded one of the Mozilla 0.8.x nightly builds from March 20 and am using it now.

There are still bugs, but now it is the fastest browser I have ever used on my slow dial-up modem connection.

Opera 5.02 baby! Fast and stable. I've always used Netscape and in the last 9 months I've made an almost complete transition to Opera. I've tried the Mozilla builds but they're way buggier than Opera.

Maybe so, but Opera 5 doesn't support CSS-2 nor does it support 70% of the Document Object Model (DOM2). Netscape 6/Mozilla does (so does IE).

So..........what does the lack of CSS-2 and DOM mean to me? I have no trouble browsing that I can see. 99.99% of the pages load fine. If I'm missing some sort of wonderful browsing experience I'm sure not aware of it. Sometimes, if a page loads wierd in Opera, I'll try Netscape 4.76 and if it loads different it's just that, different, not necessarily better.

Okay, I'm not gonna argue this one with you. Go to:

http://www.webstandards.org

Read, absorb etc.

On second thoughts I will argue it anyway. smile

Web standards may not mean a damn thing to you, but to web developers (and I'm not talking about the kiddies who write web pages in FrontPage Express here), it matters. If everyone would stop using delapidated old browsers such as Netscape 4 and start using something decent, the web would be a much better place. We'd be able to use some of the cool features of HTML without having to worry about whether it will look totally screwed up on Netscape, or whether the font size will be completely wrong on IE (which incidentally varies entirely between different versions and between the PC and Mac versions). We wouldn't have to include browser checks in every page which naturally slow down the web pages a bit. We wouldn't have to spend 90% of our time correcting all these problems with different browsers, so we'd have more time to do better things (we do have better thigns to do). As a plus bonus, we wouldn't have to charge people so much for writing web sites. Less time = less money.

I'm not saying Opera 5 is bad, it's not. It's vastly better than Netscape 4. It's not made by Microsoft. All things in its favour. Sadly though it doesn't look like there's gonna be an Opera 6 (so I've heard), so it's kind of a dead end browser now frown Damn shame.

Also, Opera has ad banners in it. To get rid of them you must pay (or crack). Mozilla does not. It is 100% free. When all the bugs are ironed out, it should be seriously kick *** . I can perfectly understand you sticking with Opera for now, but when Mozilla 1.0 is finally released and assuming it is up to scratch, I hope you'll start using that instead.

Regards

Xiven

I'll definately give it a try. I've been a dedicated Netscaper since Mosaic, it's just that the latest (4.76) browser is outdated. Over the last year and a half I've tried several versions of the Mozilla builds and they were so buggy that it was an exercise in frustration trying to browse. I'm not a tweaker by nature, I just want to be able to browse efficiently and haven't been able to do it with the Mozilla builds or the Netscape 6 (various betas). Yeah, Opera's a little funky but it beats the pants off of any current Netscape or Mozilla stuff. I REALLY want to like and use the Netscape/Mozilla stuff but I'm gonna hold off until they're more finished products.

BTW, remember when you had to pay for Netscape? I do (and did) so I don't mind too much paying for Opera.