Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
desmondelliott

Win2K, NTFS ARRGH!

Hi, this is my first post to the board.

Help!

I installing Windows2000 Pro and then for some reason my hdd crashed completeley and if it is connecting to the computer and is set to be recognised by the BIOS it stalls the pc on boot. Although if i dont set the bios to recognise it, win98se on my 2nd hdd will recongise it. I tried and thought successfully deleted the NTFS partition in win98se using fdisk and deleted the non-dos partition.

I don't know what to do at all. What is wrong with my hard drive?

- Des

I might be wrong...but I don't think win9x anything can break and reformat an ntfs partitioned drive. You will probably have to get a program that does a low level format. I know maxtor has one on their website in the utilities section.

yes, it does. when i ran fdisk in win98se it asked me if i wanted to enable ntfs file system support or something to that effect. will try the maxtor llf program.

Win98 can't see NTFS. You'll need to boot from your Windows 2000 CD and run the setup. When it gets to the point where you can create partitions, delete the NTFS partition. You don't need to go any farther than that. Just exit the setup and restart. No more NTFS partition.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by desmondelliott:
yes, it does. when i ran fdisk in win98se it asked me if i wanted to enable ntfs file system support or something to that effect. will try the maxtor llf program.</font>

It was actually asking if you wanted to enable large disk support (FAT32). Just so you know.

------------------
Regards,

clutch

And, the Win9x fdisk can delete NTFS [and Linux, and BSD] partitions. It can't read/write to them, but it sure as heck can delete them. A partition table is a partition table is a partition table, it's all the same.

-bZj

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, the Win9x fdisk can delete NTFS [and Linux, and BSD] partitions. It can't read/write to them, but it sure as heck can delete them. A partition table is a partition table is a partition table, it's all the same.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's what i was trying to say it can delete the partitions.

I went to Maxtor's website and downloaded the program llfutil.exe and again disabled the drive in the bios and the llfutil program Maxllf still managed to recognise the drive and i performed a Low Level on the drive using LBA mode as my drive is >504MB. This said that it had completed the low level successfuly. I then tried to run Seagate's Diskmanager 9.53 (which i downloaded from their website) and install the hardrive it using the Easy Installation option. It got to the FAST FORMATING disk section of this and then it crashed with a 'divide error'. Anybody got any ideas?

Another point of note. If i set the hard drive to be recongised by the BIOS whichever

condition it is in - Low Level or whatever it always stalls the system. I have even tried

the Win98SE startup disk and it stalls this before it says "Starting Windows 98". I also

tried the Win2KPro Startup disk which it stalls. Note that on both occasions the floppy

drive reads the disk a few times then it just stops and the floppy drive light is left on

and i need to use the reset button to reset the computer. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work.

The BIOS is a Intel AL440LX with the latest Pheonix BIOS downloaded and flash upgraded from

Intel's webstie.

Des

1. You don't need to Low Level format your HD.

2. You don't need and or want Seagate Dismanager or any other HD Manufacturers' proggies.

Just do this:

1. Insert Windows 2000 CD into CDROM.2

2. Configure your bios to boot from CD.

3. Save Bios.

4. Quit Bios.

5. Reboot and press a key when the CD tells you to.

6. Start 2000 setup and delete/make/format partitions in Windows 2000 setup.

dude, if you low level format your hard drive there's a chance that you'll fu*k up you landing zones and crap, but hey, don't listen to me, go ahead and do it, when you turn your 30gb hard drive into a 2.4gb hard drive OR fu*k it up totally then don't come back crying to us.

LOL

Low level format on HD's.

I remember being in a technical support department when a customer had just low level formatted one of the very first 1GB Hard Disks on the market.

Believe he had paid somewhere in the region of £450 for it.

After the low level format his drive was recognised as 50MB :-)

Hay, I only work with computers and computer systems on a daily basis, but if you want fully functional HD's you wont be considering a low level format.

What i've done now is completley abandoned Windows 2000.

I'm running Win98SE on my other hard-drive.

Without using windows 2000, how can i get my hard drive back to full functionality?

run fdisk

choose the drive with 2000 on it

delete the Non-Dos partition

make a new partition

restart

format the newly created partition

boom!

that help??

You can debug the drive to completely erase all partitions. Boot from a 98 Startup Disk and at the prompt type "debug". Then type the following EXACTLY (paying no attention to what comes up to the left of the cursor):

F 220 L1000 0 (ENTER)

A CS: 100 (ENTER)

MOV AX,301 (ENTER)

MOV BX,200 (ENTER)

MOV CX,1 (ENTER)

MOV DX,80 (ENTER) <---"80" for hd1, "81" for hd2 >

INT 13 (ENTER)

INT 20 (ENTER)

(ENTER) <-------BLANK LINE "VERY IMPORTANT" >

G (ENTER)

"Program terminated normally"

(CTRL)-(ALT)-(DEL) to reboot system

Now fdisk and format and you should be fine.

This has worked for me EVERY time.

just a little offtopic...

if you use ntfsforwin98 then you can acces your full drive under win9x as the ntfs hard-drive it support read/write with full acces except your encoded files but the delete work on them too... so if you have any problem with your boot sequence it wont help for you but if just the kernel destroyed (i mean the main ntfs/winnt system loader files) you will be happy with it...

and the another (i hate this program but maybe can help you), try to use partitionmagic, it can destroy everything smilesmile but it will try to help you...

bye

farphle: that might work if i could get the drive to boot what so ever at all. I cannot even get the system to boot with the Seagate drive only connected to the system. Any idea's as to this problem?

You may have already done this, but are the hdds set to their proper Master/Slave positions? I know I had problems starting when I had two hdds set as 'Master' without realizing it.

-bZj

Just to try things, maybe put the second hdd as slave on the second chain, and see if it can boot then?

-bZj

Me= not paying attention to previous post.

[This message has been edited by farphle (edited 26 February 2001).]

If you want a dual boot system, its easiest to leave all the partitions as FAT32. That way, you can see data on both partitions from either OS. The formatting utility that comes with a Maxtor drive is great. Just have a Win98 startup disk handy. Install Win98 first-if not run the repair option off the Win2k CD-then install Win2k.

Win98 cannot read NTFS, so it is to your benefit to have the win2k partition as FAT32 instead of NTFS.

As for the 98 partition, if I were you see if someone will let you hook up that drive to their computer and suck your data off it. Then install 98 and 2000. Then go burn the data off the persons computer, or stick one of your drives back on it and take back the data.

this is a lame question, but why use anything but w2k and ntfs?

that would solve all problems.

hehehehe

Lexluthor, some of us do this thing, you may have heard of it, its called "dual-booting". Some people like to run games on 98 instead of 2000 for personal preference. In order to have significantly less problems between two different filesystems, the entire harddrive(s) are formatted as FAT32, because 9x cant read NTFS.

Quit being a f*cking @$$hole!

Id give you the finger, but I dont know how to give it in this forum.

brian frank what a di**head

i was only kidding, did u read that line "hehehehe"... it's called laughter.

read the whole text exactly as written, very slowly, many times before your feeble mind starts wandering.

punk

(darwin is right)