Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puk

mandrake 9.2 installation

Hi all guys, this is my first post.

I'm currently using windows xp but i'd like to try mandrake 9.2... I downloaded it from linuxiso.org, burned it and inserted in the cd-rom; then I restarted my pc.. after some screens an error message appeared:

error in exec of stage 2

trying to execute '/usr/bin/runistall2' from the installation volume

the following fatal error occured

FATAL ERROR IN STAGE: I/O ERROR

I can't recover from this

you may reboot your system

I don't have experience about linux, can u help me?

This is my pc:

PIII 800 mhz

Motherboard Tyan S1854 (chipset Via Apollo pro 133 A)

2 HDs 10 gb

Sound blaster live player 1024

Ati 8500le flashed to 9100

Modem Sitecom dc-204 usb (conexant chipset i think)

512 mb ram pc 133

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english laugh

A couple of things.

Did you pre-format space on the hard drive, before the attempted install, on the hard disk?

Did you burn the iso image at faster than 8X speed? What burning software did you use?

Did you by chance, try to install Mandrake using a different CD drive than the one that you burned the image on? In other words, burn it on a cdrw or cd-r and use a secondary cdrom drive to try the install? I have also found that using cdrws can cause problems. Burning on a newer drive, than trying to read from an older, secondary drive can cause issues.

If you did try to install with the same cdrw drive that you burned the image from, try burning the iso at a slower speed, say 4 or 8X then try the install. Use a cd-r if you originally burned to a cdrw disc.

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to explain in simple words..

I didn't pre-format space on my hard disk, I thought as a windows user to find a kind of screen to do that during the installation..

I burned my iso at 2X ( i have a 4424x cdrw) on a cd-r using a freeware burning software, BURN4FREE... I thought my iso to be corrupted, so I downloaded it again from a different link, I burned it with the same method, but nothing has changed.

I didn't use a secondary cd rom drive for the installation.

Can u tell me the procedure to pre-format my hard disk? I don't care to erase my windows xp

Thanks for your patience, i'm a newbie

Mandrake 9.2 comes with a really good and easy to understand disk partitioner. It has worked well for me many times, and it will work on resizing NTFS. You should create a / partition, a swap partition, and I highly reccommend making a /home partition. Use EXT3 file system. Give it a try, I think it will work well for you, but PLEASE make sure you back up your valuable XP files to cdr or something before attempting any resizing or partitioning.

The only thing that I would add to Dapper Dan´s suggestions is the defragment the windows drive before installing. This will hopefully move any fragmented files that you currently have away from the end of the partition.

And yes, back-up any important data on the Win drive, just in case.

The reason I asked about pre-formatting drive space, is that depending on the software/method you use to do this, I have seen installs choke.

A freind of mine tried using the Mandrake disk manager and came to a sticky end. I would suggest installing something like 'Partition Magic' under Windows and then dedicating and reformating a space on your HDD. Make this new partition FAT32. Make sure you then defragment your main drive(s) and back-up all important data before trying an install.

Then when you install Mandrake > use this space to install the o/s.

Good luck.. wink

could this be a bug? I think it has something to do with the ramdisks that are made during install, because when I Ctrl+Alt+F3 / F4 i see 2 errors about unable to mount ext2 or something..I really wish mandrake 9.2 would install for me, I loved 9.1 i guess until i find an answer to this problem I'll go with fedora, but sure would like to check out Mdk92 any suggestions?

Thanks,

:x Just another NooB :x

Quote:
I loved 9.1 i guess until i find an answer to this problem I'll go with fedora, but sure would like to check out Mdk92 any suggestions?

From what I saw, there was very little difference between 9.1 and 9.2, except 9.2 gave a little more trouble. I don't think you're missing much.. smile

I'm running XP on 2 machines and tried Burn4free

Worked ok for personal files but for ISOs you may

as well just go ahead and throw the disk in the trash.

Try downloading CDBurnerXP Pro. It's freeware and

burns good ISOs even at 48x. You can step down to as

slow as 8x. I burn mine at 20x though I would suggest

between 8x and 16x since I did have a problem with SUSE

at 20x.

I've tried numerous burner programs with XP and

CDBURNER XP PRO is the only one that works well for

me on XP.AS soon as it loads ,you have 4 choices

1. data 2. audio 3. DVD 4. ISO

I haven't tried DVD yet but the other 3 work great

it is although it does give options.

Good Luck

Jus another confused puter freak.

I downloaded my Mandrake 9.2 iso files from the same website and burned the CD's successfully using Nero 5.5 on Windows XP. I've also done Fedora Core 1 successfully. What you have to do is burn the CD as an image not just a normal straight burn. In Nero, you have to click on 'File' on the pull-down menu and click on 'Burn Image...' A browse file window will pop up. Highlight the iso file and click 'Open'. A Write CD window will then open - make sure the Write box is checked and the Finalize CD box is checked. Make sure the burn speed is around 4x (it's more reliable to burn at a slower speed) and burn away.

You can download a free demo of Nero at www.nero.com

Are you booting from a CD or floppy?

Hello, I am like Puk, newbie to linux having problems getting 9.2 mdk installed. Basically I'm just about ready to give up on this. Spent about a week trying!

I've downloaded the 3 isos twice from different locations. I don't have a cd burner, but managed to borrow a laptop that did. Burned using Easy CD creater at 4X (default is 8X).

I have 2 hard drives, both 30 Gig maxtor, Athalon 2500, 512MB. I use windows XP on the one hard drive. I've used Partition Magic on the second drive to make a swap partition and a regular one, ext2? format (PM did it).

Anyhow I can't seem to get the os to boot to the cd without failing. I've changed the Bios features etc. At this point I usually just disconnect the Master with XP on it change the jumper and just use the other drive all alone. But still Can't get the cd to boot. Tried make a boot disk using rawrite, boot disk (cd.img, hd.img) neither worked. I'd like to try to install from the HD (on a seperate FAT partition) and that's where I am now.

Curious though, I found a redhat 7.1 cd which did boot, but eventually failed about 10 minutes in (the only thing I selected was a graphical install ) didn't get too far.

If anyone could give me some advice I'd be happy, also please mentionwhat os you are using (windows XP makes things difficult)

These are the things that come to my mind after reading your post.

1. Did you do a mid5sum check of the file to make sure the isos are the right size?

2. Were there any errors when burning the image to disk?

3. Sometimes an Iso can be corrupted from the source, so your download of it is corrupted as well. (fairly rare, but it does happen..)

4. What type of errors is it showing when you try to boot? Or does it do nothing at all?

5. Are you getting errors when trying the floopy boot? If so what?

You sound like a pretty sharp computer guy, I'd hate to see you just give up.. smile

Thanks Dan,

1. I did a Midsum check but after I downloaded several times I lost that info, last night I downloaded again and kept the checksum. Problem is since I don't have burner I really don't know how to them. Can I compare the checksum on the webpage to the file downloaded (as opposed to the one burned)?. What windows tool (this seems easier to do within

linux, but that's not an option) would I use to read the checksum?

2. No errors.

4. I can see no errors at all when I boot the cd, I have set Bios several ways, ie (1st floppy, 2nd cd 3rd HD1) or (disabled floppy & HD leaving CD = disk boot failure or something like that, I can take out the linux boot disk and put in the Windows XP disk (as a test) and that works.)

5. Booting to the floppy does no better, unless its a dos boot disk, it just skips over them, havn't tried a boot sequence that only has the floppy in it yet.

Unfortunately the cd writer on the borrowed laptop is gone now, so I think my options are limited to learning how to install off a hard drive (I have 2) but I need mandrake boot disk that I can get to work first.

Can dos boot disk read the cd? mine can't that would be handy (created by XP - ver= win ME)

Thought I should mention that I'm not burning the ISO to disk (ie resulting in big ISO file) I can read the created disk in Windows fine. But curious that the .htm & .txt files (ie install.htm) come out all scrambled in windows.

Based on what you've said, my hunch is, you've just got bad cd's (for whatever reason). I would re-download all the ISOs and check them with this md5sum for Windows/Dos, then burn them to disk. Don't have a burner? Here's the Nero burner you can try out, and if you like it you can buy it! smile

danleff has good advice about precautions and particulars on the actual burning process, I'm sure he'd be glad to share. Good luck!

Thanks for the tools and advice. I have very little use for cd burner (rather use large 2nd hard drive, probably wait until dvd burner get faster), actually laptop with the burner I used did have Nero on it but the default for isos was Easy Cd creator so I used that. I have downloaded again (how much can person download before isp calls? it's (4 downloads X 3 disks X 700MB) = too much!

I think you are on the right track with the disks, memorex ones I just bought. It's certainly not the first time I've used the burner before, but was the first time I created a cd from an ISO.

Semi Related Question for the forum

I have download Man 9.2 but not installed, I see that 9.2 doesn't contain the newest kernel 2.6. I'm trying to burn the 3 mandrake disks but I think it would be nice to be able to make the disks with the latest kernel. Can I somehow break apart the 9.2 ISO change the kernel to 2.6 and recreate the ISO then install?

I know it's probably not that simple but I thought I would ask now in case it is easy. BTW I'm a newbie, never had linux installed. Heck I havn't even seen it except for a few screen shots.

That is something you should do well after becoming familiar with Linux basics and have a reasonable amount of knowledge about upgrading kernels. I'm still using 2.4 kernel and intend to do so for at least another several months. There is a lot for you to learn, and Linux can at times be quite frustrating. Take your time.. wink

Good Advice Dan,

Obviously getting cds working is a bit of an obstacle for me without a burner so once they do get burned it would be best if I don't have to do compile the new kernel as if I have to reinstall (based on my history with windows Xp I'm bound to reinstall a few times) it won't be so much work. But It doesn't appear as though one can substitute one kernel for another in the installation without screwing things up so 2.4 it is.

I took your advice, checked the checksum of my latest download, all matched. Went out and bought new cds (sony this time). Probably won't have access to the burner for at least 2 weeks though. Looked in to ordering the 3 disks, but I live in Canada, and as such the shipping and duties can turn an $8 purchase (USD) into 20 (USD) (30 CDN) so I'll just wait. Probably play around with trying an installation from HD. I got that to work with a red Hat boot disk I downloaded but it obviously couldn't find the red hat files (I only downloaded mandrake isos).

Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you for the support provided. I did get mandrake 9.2 installed.

I didn't have a cd burner so I used the hd.img to install. I found it was necessary to get the hd.img from the same place you download from. ISO buster was handy when downloading from the ISO. Downloading a separate hd.img file didn't work so well.

I had trouble with the hd install until I realized the install kept crapping out at the same place. That place was where it started looking for files located on *disk2* (a separate iso file). I found the best way was to combine the 3 disks in a single directory. once I did that the install from HD went fine.

Dapper Dan: I've read some of your posts here, I know it's probably been said many times before but you should thanked for your extra dedication in helping out us new to the penguin!