Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oldspice

How do I format a floppy FAT32, not FAT?

I have a digital camera that uses floppy disks. I can read the pictures off the disk but when i go to reformat the floppy, the only option is FAT, and my camera wants a fresh FAT32 floppy every time.Any software out there to overcome this problem.Partition magic does not do floppies. Am I lost or does this not make sense.When I format on win98 computer, no problem.Format FAT on win2k and no go in camera.Thanks!

I'd be inclined to agree with CUViper, but the W2K Help File doesn't say that specifically, only that NTFs can't be used on floppies. I didn't find anything else on this though.

Sorry,

-bZj

UPDATE....I tried reformatting a disk this morning in my win2k machine and the digital camera was able to read it. I guess it must be due to poor media quality or the camera is very sensitive or something.It was the same disk i had tried to format the other day. I guess when you use the same disk over and over the formatting may become unreliable. Thanks everyone for replying!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oldspice:
UPDATE...I guess when you use the same disk over and over the formatting may become unreliable...</font>

Heheheh...Yeah, you can corrupt some floppies just by looking at 'em. laugh

I wish they'd do away with 1.44MB 3.5" floppy discs completely. They've outlived their purpose now. I notice the new Sony Mavica uses a mini-CDRW...

------------------
"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999
"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

I saw something recently - on Slashdto, I think - that had someone announcing a video camera that records straight to a mini DVD. Now, that's pretty sweet.

-bZj

I've noticed sometimes that formatting a DOS disk in NT will make it unbootable. I simply make a bootable DOS disk in DOS/9x and then image it. Then in NT I just click on the image and it formats/writes to the floppy itself.