Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hooded warrior

Problem w/ Ghost 2001, Win2k and paging files

OK, I have a ghost image of my win2k system and I just got a new harddrive. So I ghosted to the new drive and everything is fine up to the login screen. I logon and get a "limited virtual memory" error, and it says that the system has no paging file or the paging file is too small. It tells me how to adjust the pagefile, yada yada, and gives me an ok button. I hit the button and it takes me back to the login screen. I have tried all the possible ways to boot but to no avail....I can't even get into the system to adjust my pagefile size. Anyone got any ideas? They'd be greatly appreciated cuz i don't really feel like reinstalling right now.

Also, any recommendations on ideal Ghost and win2k settings would be great. Should I use Image All or Image Boot? Would it help if I have all of my protected operation system files showing before I make a Ghost image? Thanks

[This message has been edited by hooded warrior (edited 18 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by hooded warrior (edited 18 January 2001).]

I had a similar problem when restoring to a partition with a different drive letter then the original system partition. I never did get it solved properly. The only thing I could suggest is to "play" around with your partitions and try to make the drive letter of the system partition the same as it was in the image.

Thanks for the link Eddie, it was a good read. However, my problem arises when I try and ghost my win2k image back onto the harddrive. I can't get back into windows to adjust the pagefile.

Mark, I'm trying to restore my partition to the same drive letter as I had before, the C: Drive.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...anyone else got any?

If it is possibly to install your new drive in your PC and run your ghost image directly from your old drive? There is also another way, when you purchased your new HDD you should have gotten a image disk or CD. Install your new drive and use the drive mfg's software. Once copied you can remove your old drive with all you old data on it and your new drive should be ok. I have win2k & ghost every week. If you don't use the same drive Letters Ghost will not work correctly. You can use an older version of Ghhost to work around this. You can go into control panel Admin tools and from there you can rename any drive or partition until you get your correct combination

Originally posted by logicalstep:

Quote:
To easy use a Win98 boot cd or Boot disk

Run FDISK /MBR

It's to do with a 2000 security issue

Fdisk regains the drive

Logicalstep,

I had the same problem. Your solution fixed it!

Thanks!