Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Accessing UNIX remotely

Hi,

I want to access my university servers which are linux/unix based. I can use telnet to check my mail and stuff but it deosn't provide support for graphical application such as nedit editor.

Is there a program in Windows 2000 that can help me do that or some other programs.

ARC

I don't know about graphical terminal software, but I just want to point out that telnet sessions are all clear-text. That means anyone with a packet sniffer could determine your username and password. If this is a concern for you, you should look into shell access via SSH....

first, this is a win2k forum, aight? =)

and the telnet port cannot be sniffed if its switched.

there something called vnc which can be used for remote x-sessions.

do a search @ google.com for that.

theres also another app but that doesnt work as well and i dont even remember what its called

For X session on PC, you can install Exceed form Hummingbird on your PC. After telnet into the UNIX box run the command "DISPLAY=pc_ip_address:0.0;export DISPLAY" if your are running ksh,sh or bash, "setenv DISPLAY pc_ip_address:0.0" for csh and tcsh. Then any X program will display on your PC.

Like CUViper say, It's better to tunnel X with ssh but you still need exceed.

Joe

I don't remeber who makes it, but my university offers a program called Xwin32 to us [possibly just called Xwin], so you may want to look into that, try your IT department first.

-bZj