Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
victim

Win 2k not shutting down properly.

Hi all.

Perhaps this has been answered before.

I'm having a problem with restarting or shutting down in w2k. After the initial shut down screen comes and goes, and the desktop disappears I am left on a black screen.

I've checked the hdd for errors and am using 'official' drivers only. SP1 is installed. This has happened since the installation of w2k. Any ideas people?

Cel II 566

13g hdd /33dma

128 ram

riva tnt2 ultra

HP 9300 cdrw

[This message has been edited by victim (edited 22 December 2000).]

Did you enable APM?

If not goto Control Panel -> Power -> APM

then check the box that says "Enable Advanced Power Management Support"

That should do the trick. If not then I have no idea.

Have you recently installed any ADDITIONAL modem software to your PC such as Modem Status Monitoring software?

I ask because I can across a case where a program called Modem Manager with comes with most 3COM/US Robotics modems was installed on two Win2K PC's, 1 with and 1 without SP1 and in both cases they did what you say is happening to you. When I removed it from both PC's, Shutdown and reboots were corrected.

Hope this helps some smile

------------------

---------------

Lord Nor of JK

---------------

Hello all.

Thanks for the response guys. The problem has since been fixed albeit by a poor method. I ended up installing nu 2001 which many think is awful. After using it's infamous 'wincheck' and correcting the so called reg errors, the problem seems to have disappeared. Strange. Another note, Rather than forking out $450+ for a good 17 inch monitor I just spent 20 bucks and bought myself some reading gl***es. Now the monitor appears to be a 19 inch! hehe. Strange logic you may think but with the Australian economy the way it is it's the best I could do. Cheers.

I have this same problem, ran NU2000, and problem was NOT fixed.

My problem is similar: When I go to shut down, just when it should have the little window saying "it is now safe to shut down" instead it restarts!

I have Win2K proff.

PS: It worked fine when it was installed, and then it stopped working. When i re-installed recently, it stopped working again.

------------------

Regards, Gus101.

I had a similair problem on my system. It was the Intel ATA66 drivers that I needed to have installed. If I uninstall them I can´t turn off my computer. A black screen with a white blinking cursor appears then.