Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Turbo Grunkamoj

16-colors icons on 32bit desktop?

Hi

I have Win2k pro I was running Quake 2 last night, which because I use a 3dfx V3-3000, crashed when I accidently pushed ALT-TAB. Well I started the game again and it ran fine. But when I came back to my desktop I found that all my icons where only in 16-colors (NOT 16bit). Now this wouldn't have been so hard to live with but I also got a game which worked fine before this happened: Slamtilt (yes a flipper-game), this is now studdering like a "mXXXXr fXXXXr". Its totally unplayable.

I have tried the following:

1. Of course tried all possible solutions including "Show icons using all possible colors", marked it reboot, unmark reboot and so on...

2. Reinstalled the latest drivers from 3dfx.

3. Removed the graphic-card completely and made a fresh install with the 3dfx-drivers.

4. Reinstalled DirectX8.

5. Reinstalled Win2k SP1.

These things I have tried in different combinations so I guess 20-30 reboots is not an overstatment.

Now the only thing I have left to do is a Format and Reinstall, but it really bugs me cause it has got to be some kind of registerbug thats causing it.

well i know this isnt a solution but at least it will make things less painful when reinstalling. I recommend making an answer file for Win2k to get all the answers from (like computer name, ect) so it will run unattended and save you 15 mins there, also make a Win2k SP1 CD, so you don't have to install SP1 when you get windows back on. I know its not a solution but at least it will help speed up reformats.

I'd like to know how to make an answer file and how to make a Windows 2000 SP1 CD? Do you mean get the SP1 burned on a CD or something? Thanks a lot

an update to my problem.

It fixed itself all of a sudden. ??!!

I didn't do anything, I had the computer up and running as usuall..then I acctually went outdoors for 2 hours, when I got back and looked at it everything was back to normal!!?? laugh

I guess either Windows 2000 really is alive and sometimes has a bad mood, or when I was out somebody broke into my appartment, went to my computer and fixed the problem, then quietly went away again. :P

A version of Windows that FIXES ITSELF.....

You're sitting on an effing GOLDMINE laugh

Sell that Source code mate!!!!

------------------

---------------

Lord Nor of JK

---------------

both the answerfile and SP1 CD topics are somewhere on this board. Just do a search for em.

i had the same problem, but it took a complete re-install of windows to do the trick.

------------------

Regards, Gus101.