Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JMD

Installing WIN 98 after NT

Hello I was wondering if it is possable to install win 98 after NT. I have been told it is by some and it isen't by others.

If it is could you tell me how please

Thanks

yes you can.... but if you had it formatted as NTFS, you will need to reformat the drive as FAT16 or FAT32

Thanks CUViper

I don't know alot about computers, so is it just that I have to install partion magic and then install win 98. Is it as simple as that.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Also mainly because I didn't see this mentioned; your primary NT boot partition(if its the first partition of the HD) needs to be fat16 not NTFS or win98 will not read the boot sector. Win98 cannot read NTFS partitions natively........sorry if I am stating the obvious......but some may not know.....

if you have a bootable windows 98 CD and wish to go back to 98 then you just boot off the CD. The setup program will tell you that you can't use an NTFS partion and will format the drive if you tell it to.

don't forget that when u install 98 after NT u will not be able to boot to NT anymore and install it would boot straight to NT, so what u have to do is boot ur computer (once u have installed 98) with the NT setup disks and just choose the REPAIR isntallation and it would put a boot menu for u next time u boot ur computer

....and also if you have trouble getting rid of that NTFS partition with FDISK and don't have partition magic, i've posted great Partition Utility that I found ages ago that can get rid of any Partition, be it NTFS, HPFS, FAT(x), Linux etc.

Download it at www.tcnf.fsnet.co.uk and goto the downloads section --> "OSAddons".

It's pretty easy to use and then you can install a FAT 32 partition with ease.

Goodluck wink

------------------

---------------

Lord Nor of JK

---------------