Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
paul_h_amiga

Power DVD in W2K

You're Cyberlink PowerDVD right? I use it too in Win2k, it constantly drops frames and the sound has skips and pops in it, i have a Celeron 667@832 with 256mb ram and a Soundblaster Live. I have had no success in fixing any of these problems, aside from that i like PowerDVD. I have another problem though, i have a Sigma Designs Holywood Plus DVD decoder card and i have no clue how to get it to playback on my monitor, in the options menu it has an option for VGA but its grayed out and i can't select it, if anyone has any suggestions for any of these problems, please help.

I am going to guess it's your proccesser. Maybee a Celeron just doesn't have the balls to play it right. I have a freind that has an Athlon 1gig and power DVD plays very smoothly on his box. So I tried it on my box and it also works very well. The twist to this story is that I have a Celeron 400@400. The differance is I have two of them on a BP6. Also I have a Radeon card.

why don't people spend the extra 50-100 dollars it costs to get a hardware decoding card, that way you get superiour quality and framerates

I got on Win2K Pro Cel-366/128RAM/GF2MX

Same PowerDVD- Smooth graphics, sound...

Could it be drivers problem?

Why not to try Intel Storage Drivers? They turn on DMA function, which when enabled saves a lot of processor resources.

------------------

i ran Power DVD on a Pentium II 333 with 64mb ram and it ran fine, also on a K6-2 350. its not the processor

The thing is I have a Hollywood PLus Card but I cannot download the drivers for windows 2000, because FTP is disabled at College, and I am not on the net a home!!

Is there anywhere where I can download the drivers etc via HTTP?

------------------

Bob The Builder

http://www.thtproductions.co.uk/

i can't seem to get PowerDVD to recognise my geforce 2, i've tried version 2.55 and the trial version of 3 but neither will allow me to tick the hardware acceleration box. i'm running the 6.49 drivers but i've tried it with the 7.17's too.

ThC 129, I agree. I have a DRX3 that has outstanding playback on a P233. It also pipes the picture and sound to my home theater setup. However the computer on my desk has a spare 10x dvd in it. I just installed power dvd and it worked great so I just never done any thing else with it (except watch movies).

I figured it out!!! Under the Device Manager in Windows 2000, you need to go the Secondary IDE Thing, and then enable the DMA Fuction on the drives!! It was set on PIO, which made the thing slow down to read the DVDs. When I set it to DMA, and all drives on the system, it instantly made everything faster, when loading from the DVD drive or my CD-RW drive.

The Hard Drive was already on Ultra DMA, so I knew it couldn't be that!!

Anyway Playback is faster than it has ever been, even with overclocking almost everything on the system, including my Geforce 2 GTS card!!!

If this ever helps anyone, then it's worth it. Thanks to everyone, who has posted here. You have been a great help.

------------------

Bob The Builder

http://www.thtproductions.co.uk/

Try switching to WinDVD. It seems to work better under Win2000

Intel Storage Driver you can get at www.intel.com under the section Support, where drivers'n'stuff is placed, or somewhere around it, can't exactly remember.

------------------

With all due respect, Quaestor!