Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Seducer

How can computers see each other?

I have 1 server with 2 lancard, 1st lancard has an ip of 10.0.0.2 and the other is 10.0.0.5,1 two sets of computer (A&B) was connected to switch hub in lancard 1 and 1 computer© connected also to switch hub in lancard 2. How come that computer© cannot ping the computer(A)&(B)? The server was running NT 4.0 SP6, installed already the services RIP and checked the enabled IP routing. all workstation are running on win98.

anybody? please.....

I will help you setup your machines but I cant understand the way you have your computers setup on the lan. Please explain again.

See if I got this right.

You have a computer (A) with 2 lancards each setup with there own IP addresses. Then you have a computer (B) with a lan card. When they are both hooked up to the switch you cant ping one or the other?

If this is the case one thing you need to do is setup one of the lan cards on (A) with an internal IP address like 192.0.0.1 and specify in Network properties that this card is the internal card. Ill give further explaination of this after you reply back. Second thing you need to do is unless you have setup DHCP then computer (B) needs to have the IP address in the TCP/IP setting for the lan card set to 192.0.0.2. This way both computer (A) and (B) are on the same subnet which should be setup on both computer with 255.255.255.0. I can also go into explaination of this upon reply.

Do you have a cable modem, DSL, or T1 line? I am just trying to find out why you have two lan cards setup on computer (A).

Talk to you soon.

------------------

Frank

A+, MCP Windows 98 and NT Certified

Ahhhh! I get it. Easy, using your diagram I will use the names and IP address in my explanation. Make lancard 1's gateway 10.0.0.5 which is lancard 2s ip address and then vice versa. so we would have:

Lancard 1:

IP - 10.0.0.2

subnet - 255.?.?.? (whatever you have )

Gateway - 10.0.0.5

Lancard 2:

IP - 10.0.0.5

subnet - 255.?.?.?

Gateway - 10.0.0.2

This should do it! Email me back if this doesnt work or if you just want to chat. Do you use any instant messengers and if so which ones?

------------------

Frank

A+, MCP Windows 98 and NT Certified

The reason (if i understand your setup correctly) is because you actually have two separate networks which cannot talk to each other (using IP addressing).

This is because your server has two NIC cards, one going of to one network, and one to the other. So on the surface, one "side" of the network will not be able to "ping" the other side, since IP is used to "ping".

What you have to do is set up routing between the two NIC cards of your server, just as you would put a router between two LANs. The IP addresses of each NIC card in the server will then become the default gateway address for their respective networks. Get it?

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

256MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

Turn on the lights and make sure monitors point at each other laugh

Wouldn't the "IP Forwarding" boxes need to be checked as well?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Sandover is right about the installing RIP and set IP forwarding but then you would have to setup two subnets. This is just a multihomed server with the same subnet for either side of the network so you should just be able to make both nics the gateway for each other and call it a day because that's how you can complete the connection to the two NICS. Theoretically.

------------------

Frank

A+, Windows 98 and NT Certified Technical Support Representitive

FKTOAST...ur idea is not working...with regards to SANDOVAL...i already installed the services RIP and also checked the "IP FORWARDING" and still not able ping. but if im goin to browse at the "Network Neighborhood" i can see the group and the computer name but when I open the computer, I cant see the shared folders...Im logging as administrator...

You have to update the routing table on the server. That's why you can't ping across it. Normally, a current model router will have dynamic up[censored] ability, which would alleviate you of this chore (though some high end units require you to add routes or conduits manually). Check out this link:

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14983&SearchString=routing

Like I said before, I don't mess with this since I use routers and firewalls instead. But it should work fine for you.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

What happens when you try to ping the network adapters IP? What I mean is try pinging the network card the connects the other network to see if you can at least get across the adapters. You may need to put static entries in the LMHOST file for mapping. Do you have two domains setup or one?

Also try setting up two different subnets. The reason why you cant get across maybe because when a client make a request a verification is done as to wether the destination is local or remote. In your case the destination is remote but you using local addresses throughout the network so you are never getting outside your gateway since it doesnt think you need to leave because of the addess you are trying to ping is a local one.

Im sorry for the recent posts but I messed up on some of them.

1. Not LMHOSTS file but the routing table.

2. Not different subnets but different network ids.

FKTOAST...when i ping the server address 10.0.0.5 from computer c it has a return packets. And when i ping the server address 10.0.0.2 from computer a & b it has a return packets. if im goin to ping computer b from computer a and vice versa, it has also a packets. with regards to domain, i only hav one domain.

again i will try to check my routing table.

What about if you ping 10.0.0.2 from C. Can you get across the nic cards? I think all you need to do is change IP of 10.0.0.5 to 11.0.0.5 and everything else connected to that IP also change the 10 to 11. I think all we are dealing with is that 10.0.0.5 and 10.0.0.2 are different networks. In order for A and B to get to C the nic card that is attatched to A and Bs network needs to know that C is on another network and the fact that the gateway 10.0.0.2 doesnt know to forward packets to 10.0.0.5 because 10.0.0.5 is a local address.

Disable RIP.

Enable IP fowarding.

Make the two nic cards gateways of each other and change the network ID (10 to 11) on one side of the network.

(You can make static entries in the routing table if you wish and I can give you the entries if you like.)

(I replicated this on my computer at home so I know this will work)

FKTOAST....ur great...thanks a lot....now it can talk to each other........

hmmmmm

another thing.....hehehe

later....

thanks a lot..

ill just mail....with my other questions.....OK?

FKTOAST

I tried your step with windows XP, I have got 3 PCs (A,B,C) all of them XP, PC B with 2 NIC cards, I assinged 10.0.0.2 to one of these NIC, and 11.0.0.2 to another NIC(this form PC with 2 NIC).

PC A ip address:10.0.0.5

PC C ip address: 11.0.0.5

I was able to ping from PC A (10.0.0.5) to 11.0.0.2 but not to 11.0.0.5!!!!

I was able also to ping from PC C (11.0.0.5) to 10.0.0.2, but not to 10.0.0.5!!!!!.

Any clue

Thanks

I tried these steps with windows XP, I have got 3 PCs (A,B,C) all of them XP, PC B with 2 NIC cards, I assigned 10.0.0.2 to one of these NIC, and 11.0.0.2 to another NIC(this form PC with 2 NIC).

PC A ip address:10.0.0.5

PC C ip address: 11.0.0.5

I was able to ping from PC A (10.0.0.5) to 11.0.0.2,i.e I get across the NIC cards, but not to 11.0.0.5!!!!

I was able also to ping from PC C (11.0.0.5) to 10.0.0.2,i.e I get across the NIC cards, but not to 10.0.0.5!!!!!.

Any clue

Thanks

1- WinXP’s RIP disabled by default.

2- Enable IP forwarding, through regedit, initially only on B, it did not work, then on all PCs, same it did not work also.

3- Make the two NIC cards gateways of each other .

I have similar scenario with windows 2000 Advanced server it has 2 NIC cards, one for the internet and the IP is assigned to it via DHCP, the IP is 200.229.140.56,

And the other NIC card (for my LAN) and its IP address is 192.168.0.1, and it assigns IP addresses to the rest of my LAN (6 PCs) via DHCP through Cisco switch.

From any PC on my LAN I can ping the IP address 192.168.0.1 and as well 200.229.140.56,,,,,i.e I can get across the NIC cards.

Though I have not touch RIP or IP forwarding, even I have not made the two NIC on my sever as gateways of each other.