Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slewis1972

Reinstalling Win2k - Major Problem - Help

OK, decided to reinstall Win2k over the top of my present setup of Win2k as had a few config problems with some software - nothing major, but for ease decided to reinstall Win2k.

Anyway, durring the first part of setup - when its detecting mouse etc, half way through I get the blue screen saying memory dump.

It keeps doing this, no matter if I choose to do recovery mode, safe mode etc.

So can anytell me how I can stop setup from insatlling and so I can go back to my old setup of Win2k.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Well if you're reinstalling Windows 2000, it's far better to format your drive and install it fresh. You'll get much better results, and most likely no errors like the one you are seeing.

And I may be wrong, but memory dumps occur when the computer crashes.... so that you lose no information. Everything open and running on your computer gets thrown into the memory (and swap) file to be saved from the crash. ***uming I'm right, I don't understand why this would be happening during an installation. My only thoughts is that it may not like something that is currently on your hard drive.

Just some insight... there are other guys on here who might be able to help you out more.

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

256MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

lol... a-s-s-u-m-i-n-g got some stars!!! hehe

Found the culprit. A bloady dodgy Win2k disk, even though I have not had a problem with it in the past.

Installed using another Win2k disk and now no problems. At least it has given me the excuse to have a clear out.

Scott