Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pikey

Windows NT 4 Workstation & Windows 2000 Pro dual boot

Hi

Is it possible to have a happy long term dual boot relationship with Windows NT Workstation 4 and Windows 2000 Pro?

On the face of it it would seem like a dream combination (both sharing NTFS) but i've run into a few problems.

Mainly, upon installing Norton Utilities 2001 on each partition i was presented with some impressive nonsense about core files from Drive C:\ (Windows NT) having been "relocated" to drive E:\ (Windows 2000).

I ***ume this is because of NTFS being updated to NTFS5 by Win2000?

Also, there were problems in explorer with NT/2000.

Naturally Microsoft maintain that this dual boot arrangement is not a viable long term proposition, having being utilised for "evaluation purposes only". But then they would say that.

Any advice would be mucho appreciated!

Yep, you can have a dual boot relationship. Ideally, they would be on seperate drives, but they work well on the same drive on different partitions too. As far as the Norton Util install, I can only ****ume* that the program scanned for OS installations, and may have confused the two. Personally, I don't care for anything made by Symantec. I have had too many problems with their stuff to want to bother with it anymore.

Odd, you would think they have to be doing SOMETHING right since they are so big and still in business, but then again look at MS, Novell, Netscape...

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Thanks for the advice.

I remain to be convinced.

Don't know where the ***sumed bit came from!

Cheers

errr...please moderators. Can you turn off the a$$ being censored like ***, because it blocks out a list of common words:

har***

***umed

***oicated

and many more, it's very annoying to me, I'm sure others agree...

ah hes actually posting something informative. You need to get your head checked man laugh I agree stop censoring a.ss

May i ask what the point is in dual booting winnt and 2k? What do you get out of it? Seems kinda like dual booting win 95 and 98 or something. I guess what i am wondering is what does nt4 have that win2k doesn't that you need to go through all this troble for? I used to have a triple boot setup with win98 nt4 server and 2kpro and it worked fine so it can be done but why? And that inviable longterm solution crap that ms told you is bull**** if you can get it going i don't see why i wouldn't last.

A friend of mine was doing it to learn how NT policies worked and some older functionality for some MCSE testing. In addition, he had some utils that worked really well but only in NT (like Sniffer Pro 2.5). But I can see why one would think it's an awful lot of effort for no reason.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Another reason you might want to dual boot WinNt 4.0 and Win2K is that to get Softice (a powerfull device driver debugger basiclly) to work on Win2K you need to stuff around and disable a lot of features. Also If you are going to dual boot Install NT 4.0 first or make sureyou install the latest service pack prior to running Win2K as it detects the WinNT 4.0 install and upgrades the filing system to a later version which with out the latest (maybe not latest but I cant remember exactly which one) service pack NT cant read.

Well when i had it set up 98 nt4s and 2kpro it was cause i wanted to learn nt and get mcse certified. THen i realized that i didnt really want to be an mcse and even if i did i would only need to know win2k anyway. Also with regards to the file sys issue you can start your drives as fat16 and then everybody is happy once you get it going than you can run the service pack and upgrade to ntfs.

NO. Never convert to NTFS. When you convert it changes your cluster size to 512 which is baaaaaaaaddddd. NEVER CONVERT.

Hi

Well, thanks to the lot of you for the input - i'm very grateful.

The only reason i enquired was due to my intention to pursue an MCSE qualification. Of course, now i have been informed that NT 4 has been "retired" in favour of Windows 2000; in fact any NT4 based qualification is now redundant as far as Microsoft are concerned. Pretty incredible, eh?

How this translates to the real world remains to be seen, as no doubt many companies will be sticking to NT4 for a while yet - my own organisation included. (Thats not my decision by the way, but i still wouldn't argue with it)

Many thanks for the advice!