Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ryo-Ohki

Restoring apps after explorer crash...

Any idea how to restore programs that sit in the tray (such as mIRC, as I have it configured) to restore or reappear after explorer crashes? I hate having to kill the app and restart it...and there is got to be a way to restore the app...

If you run windows 2000, it automatically detects explorer instability and RESTARTS explorer(.exe), but leaves your programs untouched.

Win2000 <--- the best windows OS on earth. Period.

Ignoring the above comment... I noticed this too. Things like TaskMgr.exe and others sometimes don't show up back in the Systray after an Explorer.exe crash. Haven't yet found a way to compensate for it. I have seen app that will allow you to put anything in the tray, but can't remember names, and there should be an embedded feature to fix this.

-bZj

Same here. It would be nice when my mail server takes a dive and then comes back to have the icons back in the systray. Sometimes I have to stop and restart the services in question just to get them back.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hi,

I've seen icons lost of out Systray when Explorer falls down, but I've NEVER services close because of it. I don't know what I'd do about that, but I'd do something!

To get the icons back in the Systray, try logging off and logging on again immediately. This has always restored the missing icons on systems of my acquaintance. It's a less-than-perfect solution, but at least it doesn't require terminating processes and restarting them manually, and it doesn't require a reboot and interruption of services.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Jim

PS: Danged typos!

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 29 November 2000).]

What I'm talking about is apps that you are using, such as the popular IRC client, mIRC, which I have minimize to the tray rather than the taskbar. Explorer occasionally crashes, and I'd like to restore them, but there is no way to. That is what I'm talking about...I dont want to log off 'cause that'll close the app, and I dont want to end task and restart...what if i have open conversations or something? I know there has to be a way to do it.

No, I haven't seen any services stop either, but to get the icon functionality back I would have to stop and restart Mdaemon (basic POP3 server).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I'm sorry, Ryo-Ohki, I understood you the first time around, but I don't think you'll be able to get the missing icons back in Systray without the logoff / logon cycle. That's why I acknowledged that mine was a less-than-perfect solution.

Hope you find a solution. The one I suggested works for me, but that's because I don't use chat clients. The stuff I have in there can be interrupted momentarily without any inconvenience to me.

Regards,

Jim

Ok, first of all create variable m_TaskbarCreated and assign to it return value from RegisterWindowMessage

This is Delphi example.

m_TaskbarCreated := RegisterWindowMessage( 'TaskbarCreated');

Now in WndProc you will receive a message with Msg parameter equal m_TaskbarCreated when Explorer starts. So you can recreate your Tray Icon.

In NT4 you just type 'systray' in the run dialog box to get your icons back after a shell crash. Although that was before I installed the IE shell update. Well there's no harm in trying.