Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PsychoSword

IE 5.5 Crashing Like a Mofo in W2K SP1

I have been getting this recurring error message from Internet Explorer recently saying, "IEXPLORE.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program." I can get it anytime. Alot of times when I'm just browsing message boards on different sights I will get it. I got it while browsing this message board a minute ago again. Then I reopened Explorer to this sights homepage and got it again. I tried once more and it hasn't given me the error in the past few minutes. HEEEELP!!!!!

Well I ran the "Repair IE" option through Add/Remove Programs and dumped a bunch of temporary internet files and cookie ****. That seems to have fixed it. I hope it don't come back.

Well God Damnit they're back again. I got about a day and a half of no errors and then they came back again. Is IE just this unstable??? What the hell could I be doing wrong?

I had the same problem PsychoSword, or IE would just freeze, with 100% CPU usage, then I'd have to kill it. Easiest fix was to uninstall 5.5. and go back to 5. I think the difference between 5 and 5.5 is pretty small, not as if you get a dozen new features or anything.

MS seem to have a weird mentality - We have something that works relatively good, now let's fill it with shit and see if we can get more money outta it!@

well IE 6 has a lot of changes done to it, change isn't bad...bad change is bad, good change being bad is something I have never heard of before...

but you just wait until IE 6 is done, people will bitch about it...but let's face it, IE is pretty much the only browser left...Netscape is dead...

I seem to recall that in a lot of cases, errors were being caused by an IE 5.5 install on top of the beta version.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

yeah, if you had IE 5.5 Advanced Pirvacy Beta and you installed the original IE or even the SP1 for the ORIGINAL version, it caused some errors as well.

Ok this IS the thing to if you have iE 5.5

Do a clean install of your OS (trust me)

Then install IE 5.01 SP1, but do NOT touch 5.5. It will give you a lot of instruction memory not read errors frown