Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chipmunk

GeForce's conflict with Win2k & AMD

When I converted from Win 98 to Win 2k, I experienced a major problem when running direct3d or opengl games or applications. For example, when I run 3d Mark 2000, sometimes half way through the testing, a blue screen of death will appear, with an error message:

***STOP:0x0000001E (0xc0000005, 0xBCA6E379, 0x00000000, 0x3f1999B1) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

***Address BCA6E379 base at BCA39000, DateStamp 3a076179 - nv4_disp.dll

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

When I run games like Half Life: Counterstrike & Quake 3 Arena, I get the same problem & the same error message about after half an hour of gaming.

I've installed Directx 8 final, Detonator 7.17 drivers, AGP 4-in-1 drivers, the patch posted by Microsoft, & absolutely everything that Geforce FAQ could suggest.

I still get the problem no matter what drivers I use (6.18, 6.31, 6.34, 6.47, 7.17)

& no matter whether I use Directx 7 or Directx 8. The problem never goes away.

I need help here!!! Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon 700mhz

Creative Gefore Pro (DDR)

Kingston PC100 256 mb ram

Sound Blaster Live! Player

Maxtor Diamond 20.4 7,200 rpm hdd

MSI K7Pro mainboard

& the rest ain't important...

I need help! Please respond!!!

I was running an Atlhon 700 with 160MB Ram and Gladiac GEforce2 card. Had no problems in Win95 (with hardware, the O/S itself sucked arse) and I converted over to W2K and had same problems as you. Mine went as far as spontaneously rebooting the computer by itself after these dumps took place. Tried everything to no avail. Changed motherboards and now I am fine. Had a FIC SD11 and it did not work well at all, changed over to an Asus K7V and have been rock solid since. Hope that helped.

I agree with In2Deep... the VIA KX133 chipset used in the K7V is better, and the fix issued by Microsoft is for this chipset, im pretty sure... upgrading to a newer motherboard would probably help (I'm running a K7V, myself, but any mobo with the KX133 chipset should work)

If you don't want to buy a new motherboard, did you consider turning AGP to 1x?... i heard that fixes most problems, and turning off fast writes, of course, if it isnt already.

Hope this helps.

Well what I did to fix the problem was install Whistler. smile Games play without crashing. On both systems mentioned in my earlier post.