Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slewis1972

Win2k & Game Compatibility

Hi,

A while ago I found a web site that was listing games, along with instructions, patches etc that allowed games to run on Win2k. I though have lost the URL, so does anyone know of any web sites that do this.

Thanks

Scott

I've found a glitch or two with every game I've tried so far on Win2k.....so I just made a Win98/Win2k dual boot and use 98 for all my games! I give up on games in 2000! And if it isn't the game, it something like the video is messed up, or my controller doesn't work! Or Diablo2...it just won't start! Just hangs when I try to start it!

It's quite safe to say that if your game wont run under Win2000 it's one of two things.

1. Bad Drivers.

Windows 2000 needs good and reliable drivers, I have so few problems with games under Win2000, all of the drivers I'm using seem to be pretty stable.

2. Bad Software House.

A few software houses have decided to make it their mission to not allow games to play under Win2000 (EA for one)

As long as you have hardware that is correctly supported by Win2000 and good drivers then Win2000 should give you gaming performance on par with Win9x and also give you a syatem that doesn't crash.

------------------

PIII 800EB, ASUS CUSL2, 512MB PC133 (CAS2) RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA100 30GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Some EA games will run in Win2k. I have gotten Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire to run fine. But it is highly annoying when developers refuse superior operating systems ie nt, and moreso, unix/linux.

In my opinion, if you want an equal and fair OS market you should open source directx, and allow it to be ported to unix/linux platforms, and get rid of the 9x line forever.

I'm not quite sure how making DirectX Open Source would get rid of the Win9x line for good.

Lets be honest here, the Win9x line is already dead.

Microsoft had no choice but to release WinME, too much had been spent and too much had been said for it not to appear.

I doubt many developers at MS will be sticking with the 9x code, just a few hangers-on to fix any major bugs etc.

Win2000 was supposed to be the 'bridge' OS, the one to kill Win9x for good, but lets be honest the general user wasn't and still isn't ready for WinNT.

Win9x is as dead as games that only offer graphics enchancements through Glide and nothing else.