Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

Internet slower in Win98?

i have played around with various operating systems, namely Win98, WinME, and Win2K, and i noticed that in Win98, the internet is always limited to about 100 KB/s ... i've tried tweaking programs but they never really seem to make a difference ... does anybody know how to crank up the 'net speed of Win98?

first of time, reason is...

Windows 2000 and Windows Me have new TCP/IP stacks, therefore the internet is a little bit faster. Especially in Windows 2000. For as far as tweaking is concerned, I always used Speedlane and InternetBOOST

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

i know that ME and 2000 have newer TCP/IP stacks, but my roommates computers have Win98 and they get much faster download speeds ... i even know people who have Win95 that can get alot more than 100 kb/s ... they must be doing something i'm not, so what should i look for in the settings etc.?

you have got to be joking ThC 129. i don't EVEN want to hear about this being in the wrong forum. thats BS, so either just answer my question or leave me alone ... now will somebody please give me a REAL answer?

ok, its finally done. the patch from this site has fixed it totally. follow these instructions to see if you benefit.

first go to

http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest.asp to benchmark your connection

run it a few times to get an average. once you see how fast your 'net speed is, go to

http://www.speedguide.net and go to the "Patches" section on the left. now download the Win98 speed patch and apply it and reboot.

now go back to the site above and re-benchmark. mine went from ~70 kbps to a max so far of ~550 kbps!!! now thats more like it. obviously its a noticable change. everyone should try this patch!

Trey

with win98 i got 49.3Kbs and once i got 50.3 with my 56K modem. But with win2k i can get a MAX of 49.2kbs. With WinME i u can get an even faster speed than 98

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

yeah i noticed that WinME seems even faster than Win98 or Win2K, but i HATE IE 5.5, since it seems to just decide it wants to stop loading a page sometimes. i've never gotten as fast on that Bandwidth test as i do now that i used the patch from www.speedguide.net

Trey

sorry for busting your balls earlier man i was just fukin with ya. I tried the 2k patch in whistler and my speed jumped from 500 kbits to 1190 kbits. I always thought those things never worked either.

its ok ThC 129, no biggie ... but i agree with you, every patch or program in the past had only slowed down my performance, but this one really seems to work ... and even in Win2K!! now thats awesome! everybody should give this a try smile

If you really want to download faster any files, there are a lots of programs that uses multiples connections to d/l files. This makes it very fast, especially if you have cable, T1, T3 or ISDN. Anyways,I have cable and no matter wich OS I use (I got Win98, Win98SE, ME and Win2000 on seperate computers) it always download files at a average speed of 150-160 kps. Also, it really depends on the speed of the downloaded file server. There has been times where my downlaoding speed reached 350-400 kps (woohoo!) on some servers and some others, 9-13 kps. I am using Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) but there are more appz fonctionning on the same basis out there. Don't take my word for it, just test it yourself and be your own judge! http://www.zdnet.com.au/swlib/Internet/PlugIns/000ZGG.html

Kingtrey- Wow, your Bandwidth Speed Test link is pretty fun and usefull. Here are my results:

Your line speed:

1728.8 Kbps

211.9 K bytes/sec

Send in your results people to compare! Thanks! laugh

awesome speed! the fastest i ever got was this:

2123.2 Kbps

511.3 K Bytes/sec

this is at least 7 to 8 times faster than what i was getting before i used the speed patch from the site i mentioned above ... www.speedguide.net

;-)

Just ran it (@home cable):

2666.7 Kbps

326.8 K bytes/sec

That's with WinME as well.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 11 October 2000).]

326.8 KB/S With a cable modem? I don't beleive it. At least, with a 512Kbs line speed which is the maximum available, at leat, here, in Europe.

Do they exist lines with more than 2mbps bandwhich for CONSUMERS?

my bad about the modem, i thought you were talking about a cable or a network connection ... i have a modem when i go home during breaks from college, and it SUCKS, i only get 3.0 kb/s so i feel your pain smile

yeah I think the fact that I had a 2 mb internet connection last year at college makes my ****y modem situation really anoying but I will have fiber optic sh1t at my house soon so that will solve the problem.

Kingtrey- Wich patch or tweak were you talking about? The site you referred has many applications...