Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kevlar

Keep getting "Locked Page" BSOD?

Since I switched over to Duron/KT7 Combo, I randomly get Locked Page BSODs. What is causing it? I'm pretty sure its not the ocing, I'm running 600 @ 900. Because when I switch it to 850, it still does the same thing. And changing the voltage doesn't matter either. What does Locked page mean? I'm thinking it means something to do with ram and its pages? I messed around with interleave in the bios too, and that didn't do anything. Any suggestion is welcome.

Hi, Kevlar.

If this is STOP 0x00000076 PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES, I think this is caused by a driver not cleaning up after an I/O operation.

You should enable stack traces in the registry to enable you to identify which driver is at fault so that you can update it, if such an update is possible.

Use Regedt32 to Add Value named TrackLockedPages (REG_DWORD data type with value of 1). The computer has to be restarted for this to take effect.

The next time the failure occurs you should see a different BSOD like

STOP: 0x000000CB (P1,P2,P3,P4) DRIVER_LEFT_LOCKED_PAGES_IN_PROCESS

P1 - calling address in the driver

P2 - the caller

P3 - pointer to the MDL with the locked pages

P4 - guilty driver's name

If no replacement driver is available, or if a replacement driver doesn't fix the problem, you should probably try dropping your speed. I think that might be causing the driver to fail.

BTW, when you're done with this process, be sure you remember to DELETE the TrackLockedPages entry from the registry.

Don't remember where I got this information, probably JSI. I had jotted it down and used it on a troublemaking system a couple of months ago.

Regards,

Jim

sounds promising. But where would I add the key? Could you give me the whole path in the registry where this key should be entered?

Whats wierd is, for the past 2-3 days, my computer has been VERY UNSTABLE. I mean, it'll crash randomly about 2-3 times a day with BSODS. Yesterday, I remembered that I changed the size of the swap file to 200 - 800 from the original value of 400/400 that I've been using for a while, because when I used ADOBE Photoshop, it would crap telling me it ran out of swap file. Now, I changed it back to 400/400, and it hasn't crashed every since. I don't know if the problem is fix, maybe I'm just lucky that it hasn't crashed, but I don't know why the swap file would have anything to do with it.

But, I'm definately going to have to format my C and reinstall win2k over the weekend, as its just becoming too unstable over the last week.

Oops, sorry!

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

is the key. Use the Edit menu's "Add Value" choice. The name of the value is "TrackLockedPages", and its type is "REG_DWORD". Its value should be "1".

Don't forget to delete this value from the key when you're done troubleshooting. Changing the value to "0" is NOT a good idea.

You might also post back with MUCH more specific information about the BSODs (and any event log errors, too). Also, tell us if you can see any pattern in the timing of these issues with respect to what tasks you're performing with the machine when they occur. Finally, you mentioned PhotoShop. This is an application with which I am unfamiliar, except for the fact that most Adobe software installs ATM, some versions of which interfere significantly with various device drivers -- particularly those for the keyboard. On systems which have been farkled by this application, Power Management is usually severely affected. I have seen cases where uninstalling Adobe products has not been enough to rid the machine of the ills caused by the little gizmo that attached itself to the keyboard driver and made it ACPI-incompatible. (Patient research would have yielded an appropriate fix in the registry, I'm sure, but these people needed to produce with their machines and just wanted to reinstall everything.) My point is: If you go through the trouble of doing a clean install of your OS this weekend, make sure that any Adobe stuff you put on that system is the very latest available. (I think they've gotten around to fixing most, if not all, of these issues.) And don't install ATM in any case, unless you absolutely HAVE to have it.

My $.02. YMMV. (Truly, I know people who use these Adobe products with nary a problem, but I have also seen perfectly functioning systems reduced to rubble by ATM. I rank Norton SystemWorks -- especially the Crash Guard thingy -- in this same category.)

Hope you get a fix.

Regards,

Jim