Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
professormike48

newbie ?, can you run aol on linux 9.1...if so how?

I am new to linux and still trying to learn.

is it possible to run aol on linux and how would you go about it?

I don't even know how to use root function to remove icons!

I am so stupid....

oh, I have win98se dual boot.

thanks for your time Mike

AOL is designed as software to run in a Windows environment. I do know that some have got it to work, with some effort, more designed for someone more expert in tinkering in Linux. In otherwords, it's not easy.

The second issue is the modem that you are using. If your modem is a so called softmodem, or winmodem, not a hardware based modem (one that does not use the system's processor, but has it's own chip to run it's processes) then this is another hurdle to overcome, if at all. It all depends on the exact modem and distro (version of Linux).

Perhaps you could post what "brand" of Linux that you are using (Redhat, Mandrake) and someone else could respond more competently. Also, note, if you can, what exact make and model modem that you have. Or, is this by ethernet?

thanks and hello,

I have mandrake 9.1

intel ham md5628d-l-a internal modem

hope this helps....I am almost convinced I am stuck at microsofts merci....lol

thanks Mike

I looked up your modem at the following site;

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Unfortunately, it is listed as not currently supported in Linux. I also had one of these Ham (Intel/Abient) modems several years ago and did not get it to work. I would suggest doing a google search on the model number and adding "Linux" to the search.

Sorry that I could not be more helpful.

An alternative would be to look for a "hard modem" to buy, but again, there are few of them around. If you do decide to do this, make sure that it is listed as a full hardware modem, not a "Winmodem."

Ahh..Dapper Dan refreshed my memory. Also, the Diamond Supra Express exernal 56K serial modem also works out of the box, if you can find one!

BTW, when you get another modem, you may have to go into your bios and disable the onboard modem. 8)

Quote:
is it possible to run aol on linux and how would you go about it?

well i dont know is there any version for linux for AOL (i dont use it anyways), but if there is none, u can still use it through any third party IM service. Install Gaim. Gaim provides u the facility to connect throught msn,yahoo,aol(i think),icq etc.

the appearence and the RESPONCE of Gaim may not be the same as u experienced it on AOL at windows, but still Gaim will connect u to AOL servers and will allow u to talk around with ur friends.

u may download Gaim from www.sourceforge.net