Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moumouth34

Radeon 7200 and mandrake 9.2

Hi, i'm a newbie with linux. I tried to install mandrake 9.2 with burned cd but it says somthing like "Second stage memory install failed" or something like that. Looking on the internet I foud out that by installing by the hard drive could solve this promblem. So I installed by the hard drive but at the middle of the installation there's a lot of error that says that some files can't be found but I said to continue installation. Linux has detected my video card in the installation. Then when I try to start linux it loads and in the middle of the loads my screen get black I can't get to see anything until I reboot. Please help me!

My configuration is :

ATI radeon 7200

AMD 2400+

HP cd-writer plus

HP pavillon screen

MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard

Not a good sign. I would suggest that there are two issues, both hardware. First, this is a nVIDIA based chipset on the board, still new to linux and from what I have gathered, you would need to do a custom recompile of the kernel. Secondly, lots of people have reported issues with some of the ATI based cards with Linux.

As DapperDan would say, you may want to burn a copy of the latest release of Knoppix and see if this works. This is a CD based distro (runs totally from the burned cd). If this works, then there is some hope. Perhaps, someone else here on the boards has a more definitive answer.

P.S. Take a look at this link;

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5348

Mepis apparently works with your card!