Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
allvtec21m

Installed SP1 for Win2000 and cd rw dont work now?

i use adaptec eazy cd creator deluxe 4.02 i noticed there was a update for windows 2000 i installed it system rebooted and now my cd rw icon has a x going through it and it dosnt allow me to use my cd rw but i can still play cd's off it just cant write to them or rewrite???

Did you install Media Player 7 as part of the upgrades you downloaded?

Media Player 7 allows you to write music files to CD, and many users have reported that it has broken their Easy-CD Creator installations.

I haven't actually tried my CD-RW drive for writing since installing Media Player 7 (just haven't gotten around to it), but I am expecting it to be broken when I do try it.

Try reinstalling Easy-CD Creator and see if that fixes it.

As usual, Microsoft are blaming Adaptec, and Adaptec are blaming Microsoft.

You may be able to find more info on the Adapatec website though.

Just an additional comment in case the problem is Windows Media Player--

You may think this is hokey, but it works. I had my Adaptec Easy CD Creator and DirectCD broken by the WMP 7.0 beta install several weeks ago. I found a fix, and have since confirmed that this fix works with the regular release of WMP, too.

After installing WMP and breaking the Adaptec software, you just uninstall BOTH Easy CD Creator AND DirectCD, then re-install both of them again. You don't have to forego the Adaptec plug-in for WMP like some fixes suggest. It's been working perfectly ever since on my systems. (Both the "c" versions, and the "d" versions of the Adaptec software.)

Regards,

jaywallen