Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nodens

Win2000 Vs Me

Which one is faster for applications like Photoshop,Office,etc.Win 2000 or Me?

it really depends on the hardware aswell as the software. But I would say apps like that belong in win2k because it sucks to get a BSOD if you are atempting to get something done and Win Me, like all of its older siblings, is BSOD prone.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

[This message has been edited by Four and Twenty (edited 05 September 2000).]

don't you mean older?

ME, like it's older brother 98, is the hellspawn of 95

2k is the heir to the thrown of NT

------------------

OBSIDIAN2 (Win2k System)

---Custom Built---

PIII Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb w/133FSB (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink)

Asus CUSL2 mobo(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1002.005 Beta

384(393 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 PNY& 1x128 Mistsubishi(Compaq))

A-Top 901 Case & 300W Athlon Approved Power Supply

30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd and IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd

3 Internal 80mm fans, & 1 52mm exhaust fan (along with Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans)

CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3

CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18

Windows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)

Logitech Itouch Pro

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1)

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Soundman G1 Speakers

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter

Compaq V720 17" Monitor

Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW

Compaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD

INFERNO (Win9x)

---Compaq Presario 5600i---

PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)

Compaq 32(32 listed)MB PNY PC100 RAM

IBM DJNA 371350 UDMA/33 7200RPM Hdd

ATI Xpert XL video card

Sonic Impact S90

Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)

Hauppauge! WinTV GO

Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cards

Windows 98SE

PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard

Logitech First/Pilot Wheel Mouse

Everglide LAP(promo)

Sony Walkman Speakers

Packard Bell 14" monitor

BTC 20x CD-ROM

Selling!

Perfect condition--replaced with intel system

AMD Athlon 750(model 2) retail (Slot A)

Asus K7V Mobo BIOS revision 1007 for $250.

3 weeks old

Yes inferno I did mean older

Hey NormanSmiley why don't you wait until you are a senior member before you start getting critical?

Besides what is the damn problem with a long sig did you have to scroll? Heaven forbid you would have to scroll! Or is it that you think that his sig, which amounts to 1.46 k, was a burden on your bandwidth (even on a slow modem that would only mean an extra second wait max and I doubt your time is that precious.)

And on a last a final note are you really so self centered that you think that because you don't care about his systems that others must share your opinion as well.

Here is my sig hope you enjoy it!

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by NormanSmiley:
That's a really big sig you got there...especially when most people could care less about other users systems...

I agree with Four and Twenty, especially since I'm getting ready to build another computer. It's nice to see who's running what, and how well they run. That way I can address specific people about hardware questions specific to their systems.

And be grateful that Four and Twenty was so nice to you, being a newbie. You don't happen to use AOL, do you? wink

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 05 September 2000).]

I agree, who cares about scrolling the wheel ?!!

Nodens, Applications=Wokstations=Win2k/NT

There must be some other board around for posting all this WinME-stuff !

Now, I'm not referring to just this thread, but WinME-posts i general.

Theres NO need for running a 16bit-loving, lame, hardfreeze, BSOD-diggi'n OS when there's such a great OS as Win2k around !!

Some say: But my old games !

I say: Buy som NEW fu**ing games !

Ahh, got rid of some steam...

// Toby

Quote:
Originally posted by Four and Twenty:
Yes inferno I did mean older

Hey NormanSmiley why don't you wait until you are a senior member before you start getting critical?
Besides what is the damn problem with a long sig did you have to scroll? Heaven forbid you would have to scroll! Or is it that you think that his sig, which amounts to 1.46 k, was a burden on your bandwidth (even on a slow modem that would only mean an extra second wait max and I doubt your time is that precious.)
And on a last a final note are you really so self centered that you think that because you don't care about his systems that others must share your opinion as well.

Here is my sig hope you enjoy it!

Any p*ssy can post a bunch of crap to become a senior member. U think that makes u elite or something? Bandwidth isn't an issue. It is just an eyesore.

-------------------
Random TEXT to p*ss u off.
as

dsd
sf
sf
s
df
sd
f
sdf

sd
f

f

e
w

we
rwer

w
r

f
sd
f
d
sf
s
f

f
f

vv

rv
s

tg
re
g

rg

sd
gs

Suppose you better send an email to an admin to get me banned laugh .

No biggie...there are millions of mindless BBs out there.

MY SYTEM CONFIGURATION

----------------------

PENTIUM X 3.3ghz

ABIT VT6X4 PRO 300mhz FSB

150X CD-ROM/ 100X DVD

HP CD WRITER

INTELLIMOUSE

MICROSOFT KEYBOARD

WINDOWS 2004 UNIVERSE EDITION

45" SCEPTRE MONITOR .04 MICRON

LEATHER LOUNGE CHAIR

DIAMOND RIO

YOUR AN IDIOT

HEADPHONES

MICROPHONE

1GB ZIP DRIVE

SURROUND SYSTEM W/DOLBY PRO LOGIC

600WATT POWER SUPPLY

FULL TOWER

5GB ULTRA SDRAM

BLAH

BLAH

BLAH

EYESORE

EYESORE

EYSORE

There are a few reasons for long posts:

1: helps identify problems

2: multiple computers(SUCK AS MYSELF)

3: general pride in our computers.

I pick number 2 and 3 usually....I have two computers, so you can expect my sig to be twice as long as a 1 computer person's...

and dammit, I'm proud of my computer!! I haven't spent weeks and thousands of dollars working on these systems for nothing? I have every right to have a long post...just as you have every right to scroll through it.

As for an eyesore? Close your ****ing eyes. My god...is it that hard?

------------------

OBSIDIAN2 (Win2k System)

---Custom Built---

PIII Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb w/133FSB (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink)

Asus CUSL2 mobo(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1002.005 Beta

384(393 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 PNY& 1x128 Mistsubishi(Compaq))

30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd and IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd

3 Internal 80mm fans, & 1 52mm exhaust fan (along with Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans)

CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3

CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18

Windows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)

Logitech Itouch Pro

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1)

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Soundman G1 Speakers

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter

Compaq V720 17" Monitor

Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW

Compaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD

INFERNO (Win9x)

---Compaq Presario 5600i---

PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)

Compaq 32(32 listed)MB PNY PC100 RAM

IBM DJNA 371350 UDMA/33 7200RPM Hdd

ATI Xpert XL video card

Sonic Impact S90

Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)

Hauppauge! WinTV GO

Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cards

Windows 98SE

PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard

Logitech First/Pilot Wheel Mouse

Everglide LAP(promo)

Sony Walkman Speakers

Packard Bell 14" monitor

BTC 20x CD-ROM

Selling!

3 weeks old

Well NormanSmiley - looks like you didn't take your smiley pills this morning. Seeing people's system specs should allow other folks to troubleshoot their own, in addition to troubleshooting the poster's problem. It is a hell of a lot easier to do that when the system specs are listed in the sig than having to type it out each time.

Senior member or not - being an ******* and not posting helpful comments is certainly not a way to attract help and support from other folks.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

i was running WinME/Win2k dual boot, until i realised that the only thing that i was using WinME for was Virtual Game station (PSX emulator) and that was hardly worth the GB of HD space WinME was using. So its Win2k all the way from here.

I built another system for WinME wink

Quote:
Originally posted by INFERNO2000:
2: multiple computers(SUCK AS MYSELF)

well it seems we all say somthing that we don't really mean sometimes.
And as to NormanSmiley you are an idiot this is not a mindless BB and out of all the BB's I have seen on the topic of NT/2K this is by far the best, and do you know why it is the best? Because most of the people who post here are highly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. And no I do not think that I am elite because of the number of posts I have made. It seems that you are the p*ssy that is posting a bunch of crap to become a senior member. Also if you think that the pages here are an eyesore don't look at them, go look at some smut and leave us the f*ck alone! And no your inability to type a coherent sig does not piss me off. The fact that there are people out there that are as dumb as you and dumber kind of makes me feel like lesser of a person for being part of the same species.

------------------
My System
Dell Demension XPS T500
128 Megs PC133 Ram
3Com 56k Modem
12.6 Gig IBM HD
40X CD Rom Drive
100 Mb Zip Drive

Well, NormanSmiley, you blew your cool.

You could have just set back, said nothing, and it would have passed. Or you could have posted, "Gee, I didn't think about that. That makes sense," and everyone would have thought, "Hey what a great guy, he even admits when he's wrong."

But no; like a hurt little child you chose to strike back, "I know you are, but what am I!"

Do you think what you posted really bothers any of us or makes us think any better of you? I can tell you that, no, it doesn't.

You CAN redeem yourself by being a positive contributing poster to this BBS. Or you can do what you probably will do; move on to somewhere else, all the time wondering why nobody likes you.

I don't normally respond to flames, as that is exactly what the flamer wants (except for jdulmage, who at least has a sense of humor). Mostly because responding to flames tend to put the flamer in charge of the message thread. I posted this just for your edification. So that maybe you could get an idea of how others may see you.

Make of it what you will.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

SUCH AS

sorry. Typo

And I was about to say the same thing...

JDUlmage, while still being the butt of the occasional joke(and the 13 page long rant)...has more or less redeemed himself with meaningful(?) comments.

There's a chance...but you've subjected yourself to the same crap we gave JD.

I have nothing better to do right now, so I want to add my 2 pennies.

I think the long, system .sig is perfect, when used right. It is the simplest way to keep all your specs in one place and not type them again, so you can get/give the help that is needed. I managed to cram 2 systems into mine [in as small amount of room as I could.

One suggestion I would make is to only use it when it is a coherent part of the conversation. I have on occation thought, "Damn, Inferno's signature is long," but when he has a question about something, this gives everything upfront. however, when it is a one sentence reply to something, the long .sig forces me [ow, ow, ow, my sore surfing/gaming wrist ;)] to scroll, with nothing added to the topic.

Now, just for fun, my bigASS.sig,

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====               =====GimpBox=====Home built system:              Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard          AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]   Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                 40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]           500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM             3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM             3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video          Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet        pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI          [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd     2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]  NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy] HP A4331D 20" Monitor           Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]       ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]    [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]       Norton AntiVirus 2000           Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 06 September 2000).]

Use Notepad, get the sigs aligned how you want them, then enclose them in [ CODE ]and [ /CODE ] tags [without the spaces]. This preserves the spacing, but adds those damn <HR>s, which almost defeats the pupose.

-bZj

This is a test

------------------

Code:
OBSIDIAN2 (Win2k System)										INFERNO (Win9x)---Custom Built---											---Compaq Presario 5600i---PIII Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb w/133FSB (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink) 			PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)Asus CUSL2 mobo(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1002.005 Beta						Compaq 440BX based motherboard384(393 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 PNY& 1x128 Mistsubishi(Compaq)) 					Compaq 32(32 listed)MB PNY PC100 RAM A-Top 901 Case & 300W Athlon Approved Power Supply30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd and IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd			IBM DJNA 371350 UDMA/33 7200RPM Hdd3 Internal 80mm fans, & 1 52mm exhaust fan (along with Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans)CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3									Diamond Sonic Impact S90CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18							ATI Xpert XL video cardWindows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)									Windows 98SELogitech Itouch Pro Keyboard										PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1)									Logitech First/Pilot Wheel USB MouseEverglide (HL Giganta)											Everglide LAP(promo)Logitech Soundman G1 & Compaq JBL Pro Speakers								Sony Walkman SpeakersD-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter									Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cardsCompaq V720 17" Monitor											Packard Bell 14" monitorMemorex 4x2x24 CD-RW											BTC 20x CD-ROMCompaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD											Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)													Hauppauge! WinTV GOSelling! Perfect condition--replaced with intel systemAMD Athlon 750(model 2) retail (Slot A)Asus K7V Mobo BIOS revision 1007 for $250. 3 weeks old

Testing again:

------------------

Code:
OBSIDIAN2 (Win2k System)								INFERNO (Win9x)---Custom Built---									---Compaq Presario 5600i---PIII Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb w/133FSB (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink) 		PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)Asus CUSL2 mobo(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1002.005 Beta					Compaq 440BX based motherboard384(393 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 PNY& 1x128 Mistsubishi(Compaq)) 				Compaq 32(32 listed)MB PNY PC100 RAM A-Top 901 Case & 300W Athlon Approved Power Supply30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd and IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd			IBM DJNA 371350 UDMA/33 7200RPM Hdd3 Internal 80mm fans, & 1 52mm exhaust fan (along with Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans)CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3							Diamond Sonic Impact S90CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18						ATI Xpert XL video cardWindows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)							Windows 98SELogitech Itouch Pro Keyboard								PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1)							Logitech First/Pilot Wheel USB MouseEverglide (HL Giganta)								Everglide LAP(promo)Logitech Soundman G1 & Compaq JBL Pro Speakers						Sony Walkman SpeakersD-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter							Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cardsCompaq V720 17" Monitor									Packard Bell 14" monitorMemorex 4x2x24 CD-RW									BTC 20x CD-ROMCompaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD									Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)											Hauppauge! WinTV GOSelling! Perfect condition--replaced with intel systemAMD Athlon 750(model 2) retail (Slot A)Asus K7V Mobo BIOS revision 1007 for $250. 3 weeks old

Code:

OBSIDIAN2 (Win2k System) INFERNO (Win9x)
---Custom Built--- ---Compaq Presario 5600i---
PIII Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb w/133FSB (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink) PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)
Asus CUSL2 mobo(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1002.005 Beta Compaq 440BX based motherboard
384(393 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 PNY& 1x128 Mistsubishi(Compaq)) Compaq 32(32 listed)MB PNY PC100 RAM
30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd and IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd IBM DJNA 371350 UDMA/33 7200RPM Hdd
CL SB Live! X-Gamer on Liveware 3 Diamond Sonic Impact S90
CL GB Annhilator Pro GeForce DDR on Detonator 6.18 ATI Xpert XL video card
Windows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1) Windows 98SE
Logitech Itouch Pro Keyboard PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1) Logitech First/Pilot Wheel USB Mouse
Everglide (HL Giganta) Everglide LAP(promo)
Logitech Soundman G1 & Compaq JBL Pro Speakers Sony Walkman Speakers
D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter Intel Onboard and ATI AT-2000 ISA Ethernet cards
Compaq V720 17" Monitor Packard Bell 14" monitor
Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW BTC 20x CD-ROM
Compaq(Pioneer) 6x DVD Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)
Hauppauge! WinTV GO

Selling!

3 weeks old