Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Newtothis

Localhost Login Problem.

Hello, My name is Mark. Ijust finished installing Mandrake 9.2. Im having 1 problem so far . After installing then rebooting , It goes through the directory OK section then stops at a line that says LOCALHOST LOGIN: what do I put their .I tried my USERNAME mark , then it asked for a password . I tried my root password then I tried the user name password I didn't work . Whats going on .What Iam I missing here. Thanks Mark. ;(

So it's not going into kdm, but hangs at the command line asking for username and password? When it gets to this point again, wait a little while and see if kdm comes up, (the graphical thingy that asks for username and password). If it does, type in "root" as your username and root's password. Then after root's desktop environment comes up, check in the Mandrake control center and look for "users." Check and make sure your username and password are correct. If not, change them to what you want.

If you can't get your desktop environment to come up at all, that will necessitate another line of attempted solutions.

Hope you don mind me answering with some questions.

First, what type of system are you using, a laptop or desktop?

What type of install did you choose during the install, workstation, desktop...?

Did you accept the default installation of a graphical interface with the x windows system?

Finally, try logging in at the prompt with ¨root¨ as the user name (without the quotes) and then your root password, as the password. Remember, that you should make sure that you login case sensitive, make sure that any caps that you may have used as a password are included, if any.

If you get a successful login (just a prompt with no error messages), then we will go from there. I assume that you are getting a message with your past attempts, such as a login failure message?

Hello again. I dont remember reading anything about the type of system to install . As for the installation do you mean graghical or text . I used TEXT. After install then reboot . it scrolls down the directories giving the OK . then it stops at the line that reads- Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (five star) for I586 kernel 2.4.22-10 mdk on an I586/tty1 Localhost login:_ In this spot I typed in the Root and password . Then I get- Last login: Fri. Dec . 12 on VC/1 [root@localhost root]#_ With this (Underscore) cursor flashing. Does everybody get to this point and put something in there or does happen in my installation .Ive used all the user names and passwords and the root name and password . Didnt Work . ;( Mark.

Then you are logged in as root. Next type "startx" without the quotes and press enter. Do you get a desktop environment now?

No, At the flashing cursor where it says LOGIN: I typed in ROOT, then PASSWORD comes up and I typed in startx . Then it reads Login- incorrect.The cursor at Password does not move when I type in STARTX. Mark. ;(

Let's make sure we're doing this right. Where it says "login" You are typing "root" and pressing enter. When it asks for root's password, you are then typing in what you have designated as root's password and then press enter. You then get a # sign whereas before it was a $. At the blinking cursor you are then typing:

startx

and pressing enter?

(edit) ...and you are using lower case? (except of course if your root's password has caps in it?)

Where it says LOCALHOST Login: I type in root name then password comes up and I enter the password. Then I get Last login: fri. Dec. 12 on VC/1. [root@localhost root]#. but if I type in just Login:root with the password I dont get the # sign . it says login-incorrect.

Quote:
Where it says LOCALHOST Login: I type in root name then password comes up and I enter the password. Then I get Last login: fri. Dec. 12 on VC/1. [root@localhost root]#

Do what you wrote here again, and only this. Once you get to...Last login: fri. Dec. 12 on VC/1. [root@localhost root]#

type:

startx

and press enter. That should give you the desktop environment you chose at install time. If not, let us know.

Newtothis, I've really been sick and must go to bed now..I'll check with you in the morning. Don't worry, we'll get it figured out. wink

I tried that and this is what it says-using authority file/root/.xauthority writing authority file/root/.xauthority using authority file/root/.xauthority writing authority file/root/.xauthority execve failed for/ etc/x11/x(errno2 giving up. x init:no such file or directory(errno2)unable to connect to xserver xinit:no such process (errno3):server error.I think its trying to connect to the internet . Iam not going on the internet with that computer at this time. Mark

Looks like x-windows and the graphical environment did not get installed. I can't remember the options that you get at a text install, but my guess is that you did a minimal install, without the graphical environment. I will have to look at the Mandrake install process and post back, unless, DapperDan has it tucked away on rote memory. Thanks for posting all the details, this really helps.

danleff, I think maybe his best option at this point is to do a re-install, this time choosing x windows and graphical login, what do you think?

Newtothis, would you be up for that? How much space is on your HD? If you have a good bit, I would just install everything available, (check everything). You can always uninstall the programs you don't want later. Are you doing a dual boot with Windows? Are you using onboard video or do you have a pci or ddr card installed?

I agree. Good questions about the system, as it may be important to know where Mandrake was installed originally, so that he can choose the correct partition for the new install. Looking at the information that I got so far, my guess is that a text install does a minimal install w/o X, unless you know what you are doing. The graphical install will guide him through the process more fully. This way he can choose workstation as the option, then choose the packages, or default to a full install, as you suggested.

Newtothis, when the graphical install goes to the part where there are packages to select, either make sure that all the choices on the left have an "x" (they are chosen); as well as choosing the boxes on the right side of the screen for a graphical environemnt, such as "KDE" as you graphical environment. If you choose all the options, the install will take more time, but as DapperDan stated, you can remove them later.

This assumes that you have enough disk space alloted for the install available on your hard drive. So, if you have plenty of disk space, say 10 gigs that you can use for Mandrake (this will give you enough space for a good work environment and allow you to download things that you may need later), go for it.

At the least, you should have 5 gigs for a good working system.

Morning everyone, Before i reinstall want should the partitioning be . the software did it for me . I have a 13 gig h.d. install set it up with 2 partition 1at 53% the other at 48% . what size do you use . I would like just 1 partition.My video card is voodoo 3 pci.as for the best package the software selected it for me . I read somewhere not to check off every thing ,because of some reason i cant remember why. yes iam up fpr a complete reinstall. ive got lots of time to tame this. oh yeah, when it scroll down the list of command and were OK . one line said -bring up interface ETh0: FAILED. Mark.

Actually, this is good. You don't have to worry about the rest, like the partitions and such. I would just go ahead and reinstall. If the CD defaults to a text install, then there may be issues with your hardware compatibility, such as the video card.

Let us know what happens. If you still have problems, let us know what your system specs are, if possible. This is not a Compaq or HP system, is it?

Its a pentium 200 mmx. What size partitions should i use or just keep it where the software made it .Ive done 2 installs 1in graphical then the other in text . i had the same problem with the graphical install. and it gave the same package for my kind of computer . . Ok iam going to start reinstall now .

Well it WORKS,WHAT A DIFFERENCE FROM WINDOWS XP . All that x this and k that. I did what you said. i reinstalled everything but the GNOME WORKSTATION and OTHER GRAPHICAL DESKTOP.Now i hope the Games werent in those two because I cant find them . I know I checked the box during installation.The only thing not working is the sound card . Unfortunitly Iam not on the internet with this compter . So iam hoping i can download the patches to the computer that is. Down on the taskbar i had 4 boxes numbered 1,2,3,4,. Does that mean my hard drive is partitioned into 4 . Or is that so I can put on different users. I really dont like not knowing how to access the 2 partition H.d. like in windows ,i can see 2 Partitions and whats in them.I really like to have 1 full partition total 13 gig. Iam having trouble with the resolution settings it was set at 800 -600. I find it to large. I did find it in GIMP But I didnt understand the measuring with a ruler thing . I thought i would see different Resolutions then I would pick one to my liking. So much to learn I should by a guide book. Thanks for all your help. And if I dont write back before Christmas , Have a Merry one. Mark.

Sorry I wasn't able to catch you before the install. You probably have a / partition and a swap partition which is fine. I would have advised also creating a seperate partition for /home. It's ok, and in fact, preferable to have seperate partitions in Linux. smile

As for the sound, In your menu, look for "aumix", or pull up a terminal and type aumix and press enter. Make sure the volumn control there is turned up.

Do you have a NIC in your computer? If you do (and of course have high speed internet), the card should almost certainly work. Go into the Mandrake control center, and go to internet configuration wizard to get it working. I've not used Mandrake for several months now, but if you choose mostly the default settings here along the way, you should be able to get it working.

Also in the Mandrake control center, you will see a screen icon labled "resolution". You can change resolutions here.

Those four boxes at the bottom are just workspaces. If you clutter up your screen or have work going on in one that you don't want to close out, just click on 2 and you'll get a clean screen to clutter up again. wink I never use it.

Take your time, and explore. There's nothing you can do that another re-install won't fix. wink

Good luck. smile

Hello , When you say look in the Menu do you mean clicking on the K BUTTON. If you do there is no AUMIX . For the resolution you said check the Mandrake Control Centre is that the screen that comes up after a restart and there is a icon that says My Computer . I clicked on it and it gave me an error.Something like no files loaded.

As with Windows there is a "start" menu at the bottom of the screen. If you're seeing a "K" then you are using KDE as your desktop environment. If they are installed, you may want to experiment with Gnome and IceWM which are two other DE choices at the login screen. Yes, the "K" is where you would start the process of looking something up in your menu. Did you go to the command line and type "aumix" and enter? If nothing came up, maybe it is not part of Mdk 9.2 as it was with 9.0. In that case, look for a program that controls sound and volume either in the menu, or in the KDE control center. There should be something there that will let you configure sound.

Aumix can be invoked at the command line, or

start (the ¨K¨ menu ) > multimedia > sound > aumix.

Try moving the vol, spkr and CD settings to 100%. Sometimes, by default they are interestingly set to 0.