Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chrispope

Kernel Woes

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

I run Suse linux 9.0 professional on my toshiba m15-s405 laptop, it has 512mb of ram and a p4m processor. I never have more than 250mb ram used all together including what linux has cached, buffered, and not to mention my tmpfs /tmp file in ram.

The question is, would it be easier for me to have a monolithic kernel (which will compile correctly), or should I go for the perfect 'tuned' kernel with modules (which so far does not compile sucessfully)?

I am an experienced linux user/geek and would like to know from some other "seasoned professionals" their opinion on this subject.

The only way to go monolithic is to know exactly what hardware and software support you will need. If you are not sure; having a couple of extra modules lying around won't hurt a thing. The "perfect" monolithic is faster, but it is hard to configure unless you have all the data and understand all the kernel options and their interactions with each other. laugh

I haven't checked my email until today and I agree with your comment sjworth, but on the other hand I do know about everything in my laptop minus the wireless lan and the winmodem.

Right now I leave my kernel in a monolithic state with the capability to load modules for my linmodem developing, which requires modules until I program a working one into the kernel. But as always big buisiness is slow to recon with the turmoil they present to the linux community with new hardware and support for it, so... my WAN is unsupported by intel until their programmers convert their current windows drivers to a linux usable form.

I finally have gotten my winmodem to work with linux and also my wifi too. I have a customized 2.6 kernel and now have a 40 second boot time compared to my 3 minute boot time with the 2.4-default kernel.

Chrispope, there are dozens of posts on this forum about how to get a winmodem to work with Linux. You will be considered a 'guru' if you post how you did it! 8)

Quote:
I have a customized 2.6 kernel and now have a 40 second boot time compared to my 3 minute boot time with the 2.4-default kernel.

i just compiled 2.6.1 kernel from sources and after booting woah..i really "feel" the speed 8)

I've been goin round to see what others have to say about winmodems, if I find a situation that seems that it could benefit from my input then I will contribute.