Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

MSN Messenger 3.0

Hi all,

Since upgrading to the latest version of MSN's Instant Messenger Service (MSNIM from here on)- v3.0. I am recieving an intermittent error that causes the program to fail. The details of this error are as follows:

MSMSGS.EXE - APPLICATION ERROR

The instruction at "0x76c1d888" referenced memory at "0x76c1d888". The memory could not be "read". Click on Ok to terminate the program."

.....after which it closes out - however, it can be restarted immediately and will sign in as normal.

This problem has been ongoing since I upgraded to this version. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling it without success and have tried "end-tasking" all other running applications (generally only Noton AV 2000, Winamp, Napster and Netscape) to no avail.

Here's the strange part...I have the MSNIM software installed on a laptop I use in work and it works fine there. This laptop also has the above software running most of the time but it doesn't seem to cause the same problem.

Microsoft's Online Support pages don't seem to have anything on this, so I thought I'd try posting it here - any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.

My system:

DELL XPS T550 (PIII 550Mhz)

320MB PC-100 RAM

CL SBLive Value(OEM) - running Liveware 3 for Win2k

CL 32MB GeForce DDR - running v3.68 drivers.

9&12GB Maxtor EIDE Hard disks.

Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM

Sony CRX100E CDRW

Trust Ethernet NIC

Dell/Sony 21" Trinitron Monitor

Win98/Win2k Pro(with SP1) Dual-Boot Config.

NortonAV 2000

MSNIM 3.0

GetRight 4.2c (hmm..come to think of it - I don't have this on the laptop...)

Napster v2.0 Beta6

Thanks in advance for any help...

Regards,

Kaiser.

No problems here. Just update Messanger to 3.0 without any issues.