Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Martin0123456

USB Internet Connection

I currently use a Ethernet to USB external adaptor to enable connection to the internet for my Windows installation to free up my network card for connecting to other computers on the network.

How do I do this in Linux? I had problems trying it the other way round, and would like it the same way as my windows installation but I'm unsure of how to go about it.

Any help on this would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks, Newbie Martin0123456.

Unfortunately, USB externel adapters are not quite yet well supported in Linux. This is improving. Which Linux distro and version are you using?

I use a D-Link wireless router on my system, which works well. I found that the simple solution is to get a router, hook the cable modem to the router's primary connector and use the router's other ethernet connectors to connect to the other systems. Most common routers are supported quite well with the newer distros.

I just install the FC 4. I have a DSL modem. My pc doesen't have an ethernet. i connect the modem with USB cable. It does recognize the modem, but i can't use internet.

any help would be great.

I appreciated

This thread is way out of date (note the original post date), so disregard the previous data.

What exact make and model DSL modem is this?

What tool are you using in Fedora to set up your connection?

Most DSL providers require that you use a login name and password.

Have you tried to set up ASDL with your username and password, if this is the case?

the model is 2wire and i connect it to pc by USB Cable. i do the same thing for windowns and it works. I just need to istall the modem and the FC 4 detect my modem to, but i cant not connect to internet. I also write the name of the device. But for driver it says unknown.

thanks

OK, lets take a look at this in more detail. I looked up this brad of modem on their website, but they give little information.

I did a little more looking around and found out some interesting things.

The make of the modem is 2wire...what is the model number?

Different USB routers/modems have various chipsets. It is difficult to know what you have, unless we know the model number, which will determine what chipset that it has.

This modem company makes DSL modems for Windows, not Linux. When you set up the modem in Windows, you used an installation cd to get the connection up? This sets all the settings that you need in Windows.

This is not the case in Linux, and you need to do some work.

I assume that you went to set up the modem in network device control (start-->System Tools-->Network Device Control)?

If the modem is recognized there, that is step one. If so, what is the name of the connection, eth0?

Again, do you need to login to your provider using a username and password? Was one provided to you by your internet provider?

If this is the case, you would have needed to input this information when you set up the modem with the setup cd when you first set-up the system to connect to your provider.

If not, this may be pre-set in the modem itself. Apparently, this is the case with some providers. in this senario, you set the modem up as DHCP, to automatically connect at boot.

If not, then you must set it up manually by providing information about the IP address and other settings, which is a static connection.

Remember, in Windows, the set-up cd does this for you. In Linux, you need to do this manally, as there is no set-up cd to do this for you.

If the modem is recognized, as you say, and there is no driver configured by Fedora, then the modem, by way of USB, will not work without perhaps, a lot of work. If this is the case, buying an inexpensive ethernet card is the easiest solution, using this to connect to the modem, rather than USB.

If your provider requires you to login (this is not configured into the modem), then, you need to add this information, as well, to Network Control, as ASDL.

Fedora, in my opinion, is not the best distro to do this with. Others detect and configure these ASDL connections much easier.

I am posting through Fedora on DSL, but it took some work, even through an ethernet card.

I think it is also worth considering using ndiswrapper, or the commercial 'version' of ndiswrapper (linuxant). I had a Linksys WUSB54G that I got to work using the linuxant solution (www.linuxant.com).

The general idea is that ndiswrapper and linuxant allow you to use the windows device drivers for various ethernet devices on linux. They support some USB wireless devices.

The linuxant solution is called DriverLoader and it is very easy to use. They offer a 1 month free trial, and after that I think it's $20.00 or something.

The ndiswrapper solution (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) is free, but it is a little bit more cumbersome. With minor amount of work I was able to get a PCI wireless device to work using the ndiswrapper. It was very straightforward following their instructions.

OK, but the discussion here is about a USB modem, not a wireless device.

But yes, the Linuxant solution is fine, if the wireless device is supported. Ndiswrapper also works well, if the chipset is supported.

My WUSB54G works well with ndiswrapper, so I agree.