Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mark W

Direct CD?

I had DirectCd working fine under win2k (with all up-to-date patches) even with Nero installed. I recently also installed CloneCD and CDRWin and now DirectCD reports no compatible writer. Does anybody have all of these successfully installed and working happily together? If yes, how?

Thanx.

yes! it's a known problem... WMP7 final makes directCd report no compatible CDRW (and other problems also). you should uninstall wmp7 and i suppose(?) you'll be alright again wink

Thank you very much. Is this problem documented and what does Micro$oft have to say about it? I am going to uninstall it and hope I get my dcd back.

Thanks again.

Doh!!! I just installed Media Player 7.0 on my W2K machine and now no compatible CDRW drive. I guess I'll have to go back to Media Player 6.4.

This issue caused me real problems the other day (which was my first time installing W2K on a computer with a CD-RW drive). Thanks for the info on the incompatibility.

And to further discussion, I have successfully installed DirectC v3.01c *AND* Windows Media Player 7 on the computer I was having problems with.

How? Instead of uninstalling all of WMP7, I chose the Custom setting to choose what I wanted to remove. The only thing I uninstalled was WMP's Adaptec CD burning plug-in (which is undoubtedly the culprit here). After that I installed EZCD4, then DirectCD v3. A few reboots later, no complaint from DCD and the computer still recognizes my CD-RW and DVD drives (which had disappeared in the previous installation because of this problem).

While I haven't done any actual functionality testing yet, at least the original problems have disappeared and they look to be coexisting. I'll keep you informed.

------------------

--

blur

Adaptec has posted a work around on their support site. It consists of uninstalling EZCD and DCD and then reinstalling them. For the most part that worked for me although I did have to manually make sure to uninstall/delete the original installation before I was able to reinistall it and patch it to current successfully.

ooops - dp

[This message has been edited by Mark W (edited 27 July 2000).]

I even had this problem using WMP 7 beta in Win98.

Now, in Win2k, I wont touch wmp7.exe ever again!

I didn't like it anyway; 6.4 is much better.

[This message has been edited by davidsmelt (edited 27 July 2000).]