Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tassos Kouris

Windows Media Player 7 final blues

I tried to install windows Media player 7 in my Windows 2000 system. When the installation reach a certain point the system crashes. I trie to uninstall the beta version, but the result was the same. I tried to install it wih the windows update, and it still crashes. The blue screen that appears momentarily before the system close down refers to ntkernel stamp date or something like this. Anyone has the same problem or knows a solution?

------------------

Tassos

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassos Kouris:
I tried to install windows Media player 7 in my Windows 2000 system. When the installation reach a certain point the system crashes. I trie to uninstall the beta version, but the result was the same. I tried to install it wih the windows update, and it still crashes. The blue screen that appears momentarily before the system close down refers to ntkernel stamp date or something like this. Anyone has the same problem or knows a solution?

Ela re Eladara!!!!
Kai gw ta idia skata!
That goes for me too frown. I had installed wmp7beta-->uninstalled it without restart-->install wmp7 final and at the end of the installation (after registering components)-->BSOD: ntoskrnl.exe or something. Now i cannot even unnstall wmp! siht!
--------------------------------------------
Abitbh6rev1.0 SS bios
SB PCI64
Canopus Spectra2500TNT 128ram etc
progs runnin: inoculteIT,zonealarm,gozilla
-------------------------------------------
P.S. Exeis kammia sxesh me ton Kuri pou parousiaze thn ekpomph gia PC palia sto kanali 29??

[This message has been edited by 5t3ph3n (edited 18 July 2000).]

I tried to install it during safe mode , to no avail. The same blue screen, the same problem with ntoskernel, exception, date stamp,and automatic restart. Keep proposing solutions please...

Well, I installed the new media player, rebooted and Win2k never came back up.

It always stoped at the bootup screen after 11 of the blue segments. I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode to prompt, Last Known good ... nothing booted it up.

I'm reinstalling Win2k right now, maybe it'll work on a fresh install mad

p.s. I never installed the beta.

[This message has been edited by DocSilly (edited 19 July 2000).]

Worked fine here too!

Never had the beta version installed.

To all thee who are having problems - Ooooh it is lovely :-P

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Wel, it works fine (w2k). I also deleted the old version (6.4)

boot to the last known good configuration, that same crap happened to me, this fixed it.

found it at last: head hurts...cut head... Simple and effective... Format-->install win2kpro-->install wmp7 final (warning:the beta caused the trouble!)...

So, I'm back to the same point, reboots to 12 blue segments and stops.

Here my steps:

- format

- clean install of Win2k

- Windows updates, criticals first, IE5.5 and finally WMP7

- installed all drivers

- installed my regular software (Office 2k, WinAmp and all the other programs)

- no probs so far

- installed Adaptec EZ CD 3.5 according to the walkthrough on Adaptecs homepage, rebooted, system hangs at bootscreen

I also updated the ASPI to 4.60 but I doubt that this was the main reason ...

The EZ CD 3.5 worked before without a problem (and so did PlexManager 2000) ... WDM7 adds burner capability ... can there be a connection ?

I'll give it another shot tomorrow just to see if there's a connection between WDM7 and EZ CD 3.5 or PlexManager2000

--------------

PII 450 on P2B-LS, Annihilator Pro (Det 5.30), V2 SLI on NTCompatible drivers, SB Live (LiveWare3), all SCSI setup (Cheetah 9LP, Ultrastar 18XP, ZIP, Orb, UltraPlex32, PlexWriter 4/12), USR 56k modem, oneway cablemodem via 5 port switch

Say can someone report on whether this new version of Media Player finally works with MPEG-4 video playback? Every time I try to view one, the standard Media Player goes out to Microsoft to get the MP4 codec, attempts to install it, fails, and I get the audio track playback only. Ad Infinitum.

Thanks in advance.

I had no problems with wmp7 and I has the beta installed. I updated to the final with no problems. However, now that you mention it, DirectCD no longer recognizes my Plextor 8/4/32 as a compatible drive. I also installed CDRWin and CloneCD, so I can't be sure where the blame goes, but it might have something to do with wmp7.

Your gonna have to download Windows Media Encoder 4.1 for the MP4 codecs.

Well, it's not a problem with ASPI 4.60 from Adaptec or PlexManager 2000 1.05 ....

It looks like WMP7 does not like EZ CD 3.5 at all.

Any recommodations on a compatible burning software for occasional burns ?

Thanks for the suggestion DosFreak but apparently the Media Encoder is only for working with Windows-specific formats. I took the plunge and installed WMP7 and it is so far working properly with MPEG4 files.

F... WMP 7. I downloaded Sound Forge's Siren Jukebox. It does all the things WMP 7 does and more!!! It is stylish, burns disks, serches for music,it has a beautiful compact feature, a good number of skins, does digital extraction, serches for the title of cd's etc. Happy again..

Tassos

I just found this page and it seems to agree with my findings, the included burner part of WDM7 does not like previously installed Adaptec burning software, sigh ...

I hope that WDM7 is not an integral part of SP1 ...

All I know is that I have WMP 7 installed over Adaptec ECDC 4.02c (WMP 7 was installed last), and I just got done burning 30 CD-R's with no problems at all. smile

I should note that these were data CD-R's, not music CD-R's, AND that I don't have Direct CD installed.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 25 July 2000).]

Damn, I wish I would have read that article before I updated my wmp7 beta to final! I really need DirectCD to work reliably!

It seems right , since I started the topic, it has to be me to finish it. The solution to all the problems is to remove the conflict between WMP7 and Adaptec Easy CD Creator which is the cause of all the BSOD.

Adaptec posted a workaround method in their site(http://www.adaptec.com/support/faqs/wmp.html) and there is also a reference article in: http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/window072700.htm.

The gist of it is to uninstall Easy CD Creator, to install WMP7, and then install Easy CD Creator v. 402c.

I tried it and now both programs work fine...

I hope this will help all with WMP7 in Win2k...

Tassos

------------------

Tassos