Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Access to files on my computer via my LAN.

I love Win2k, been using it since the early days. It marked my switch to the NT kernal, and I will never go back. It is a beautiful OS.

Anyways, one thing I havn't figured out is this: I am on a LAN at school and using Win9x I was easily able to share folders over the network neighborhood. If I wanted to, I could also put passwords on these individual folders.

Well, in Windows 2000, anybody trying to access my computer over the network is prompted for a password. Thus, since I never set a password before... what password is it talking about? Better yet, what do I have to do to let people log onto my computer without using a password (like Win9x)... via the network? If this can't be done, then how do I set up the password so that people may log on?

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

Like you said, w2k is NT, and thus the security is very high. When you try to access a 2k machine from a network, the machine u are on will try to log on 2k with the username you used to log on locally. If the 2k machine doesn't recognice the username, it will ask for a password. To get around this, either make a new user with appropriate username on the 2k machine, or simpler, just activate the Guest user account. Then make sure the guest account has access to the right folders, and there should be no problem.